• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are Automatic Blind Endnotes Possible in ID?

Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book project that has copious amounts of blind endnotes, which look like the sample below (page number of endnote, phrase on that page associated with the endnote, and text of the endnote). Can these be done automatically in ID or is it limited to just endnote number followed by endnote text?

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 9.54.28 AM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

No need sound and more comments!

[if curious, pm me!]

(^/)

PS: Watching the video, I note I forgot to "remove the end notes numbering"! [simple to do!]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a way to include the page number in the Endnote. 

You might be able to do it with cross-references. There's a bunch of scripts here that might help

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnotes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, almost. But not quite what I need. Thanks for the link, though. A few of those may come in handy in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Richard Groff:

Without scripting, I agree with the @Eugene Tyson's x-ref recommendation. The x-ref can definitely pull in the page number followed by a tab but it can't pull in part of a paragraph (to grab the phrase associated with the endnote). It's all or nothing.

You could get this far with the x-ref, but then will need top copy/paste the phrase and the note text. The page number will update after edits when the text reflows, so that's a good start.

xref.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Script!?… Cross-Ref.!?… Hmm!

Are your endnotes "true" ID endnotes?

If not, I suppose you have this "endnotes" text to be pasted in your doc?!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, it still can't insert the associated phrase automatically. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they were done manually, but the publisher is looking for a way to automate them in the future. I don't see any way to do that. I didn't think it was possible, but thought I'd check anyway. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create true endnotes and indicate with a condition each piece of text that will need to be included in the corresponding endnote, you will just need 1 click to finish: include the page number and the piece of texte in the endnote! … and "Cerise sur le gâteau": the name of the "Chapter number(s) + Chapter title(s)" too!  ðŸ˜‰

By Script of course!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's intriguing! I'll have to look into that a little more. If I can figure it out, quelle cerise indeed! Merci!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No need sound and more comments!

[if curious, pm me!]

(^/)

PS: Watching the video, I note I forgot to "remove the end notes numbering"! [simple to do!]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines