• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arithmetic in InDesign?

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is InDesign capable of basic arithmetic when you have a table full of data, like an Excel sheet? Let's say I have a table full of numbers, but no totals. Is there a way InDesign can do the math for me? Add/Subtract/Divide/Multiply?

Or is this done via script?

Anyone know a good script?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

No, not within the basic feature set of InDesign. As I have learned on this forum, scripting often renders my "how InDesign works out of the box, er, just downloaded from Adobe.com" answers incorrect.

You might want to ask here: InDesign Scripting

What you can do though, is link an excel spreadsheet to an InDesign doc, so that editing the spreadsheet updates the numbers in the layout. Excel is great at math, so that may do it for you. See https://redokun.com/blog/link-indesign-tables-to-excel-spreadsheets

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not within the basic feature set of InDesign. As I have learned on this forum, scripting often renders my "how InDesign works out of the box, er, just downloaded from Adobe.com" answers incorrect.

You might want to ask here: InDesign Scripting

What you can do though, is link an excel spreadsheet to an InDesign doc, so that editing the spreadsheet updates the numbers in the layout. Excel is great at math, so that may do it for you. See https://redokun.com/blog/link-indesign-tables-to-excel-spreadsheets​.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at DTPtools.com

DTP Tools - DTP Tools Cloud for Adobe InDesign

Specifically, the Active Tables plugin.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends how many tables you have. David @ IDEAS-Training has suggested a robust solution, note though that it is a paid plug-in.

There's a script I use called Calculs Raynaux that does basic maths to tables: Calculs Raynaux - Calculating script for Indesign

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link doesnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like the link was out of date. Try this link: https://labdal.net/en/hello-and-welcome-on-labdal-net/

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines