working on the layout of a CD booklet with English and Armenian Text.
Although I am using an Armenian font (Noto Sans Armenian) there are big problems with the text apperaing at all. No problems in Pages, TextEdit, Mail etc. But as soon as I import the text into InDesign in partailly dissappears. Sometimes the first letter remains, the other ones dissappear. See Screenshot.
A small sample of the text is below.
Դու, միայն դու
/ Վահան Հարությունյան /
Դու իմ սրտի ամենամեծ խնդությունն ես,
Քանի որ կաս, քանի որ կաս այս աշխարհում,
Դու իմ սրտի ամենամեծ խենթությունն ես,
Քանի որ ես, ջահել ասես, քեզ եմ սիրում։
Check the font used for all parts of the text. It looks as if InDesign may not have the correct font selected. The other apps you mentioned will "fix" this by searching for a font, InDesign will not.
Thank you! When applying the font Noto Sans Armenian to the whole text, it eliminates most of it, leaving only the first letter of each line. When I apply the font to the text one line after the other it works sometimes OK – but I also get strange grey rectangels and am not able to klick into the textframe at all anymore. See second screenshot.
PS. Working on a Mac Catalina 10.15.7, latest version of InDesign
It is probably best to set up a character style with your Armenian font, and apply that to all the Armenian text. You might have character styles already, coming from Word, and causing problems. It also lets you change the font all-at-once later if you need to.
The pink highlights are specifically to tell you that the character you use is not in the font you are using.
Thank you. I did set up a style – the outcome is the same. Even when importing – and deleting all preset styles from word – or working with copy and paste – which usually eliminates this kind of problems. I tried a lot already 🙂 about 5 hours – and am working with InDesign since 15 years full time. Just something like that never occured to me. The pink within the Armenian font ( first four lines) is where the author used a latin font for numbers, Comma etc. That does not create problems – I apply a regular latin extended font to that later on.