Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attempt to save over old indesign file using same name destroys the file

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running InDesign 16.0

I have opened a few InDesign files that were created in older versions to modify/make changes. Once changes are made I save the file (CMD+S) and Indesign opens the save as dialog box instead of saving.

I navigate to the proper folder where I opend the file from and click save. I get the message the filename exists and choose to overwrite. Then I get an error message that the file is damaged and cannot be saved.

Checking the Indesign file in finder shows the filesize as zero bytes and is now destroyed/cannot be opened. If you close the file at this point without saving, the file is lost/cannot be opened. If you save as a new filename everything is fine and attempting to replicate the issue with this new file, everything works as normal.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen if you don't overwrite the original file? Try saving with a different name or in a different folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, désolée de vous déranger, j'ai un gros problème je n'arrive plus à me connecter à mon Indésign ID et j'ai un journal à faire - merci pour votre réponse  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larlesienne,

I think this is a different issue. So please open a new thread for this problem.

Also state your exact version of InDesign and your operating system.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaultqfxq7dll8nro,

do you see this issue with every document from a previous version of InDesign?

Test it with files only, that you duplicated in your file system or you are very sure that a backup exists.

Or is it important what version of InDesign saved the document the last time?

Or perhaps the position in your file system; a server volume or something in this direction?

What's your exact operating system version?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS Catalina 10.15.3

I tested with older InDesign files in a different locations and could not replicate the issue.

It seems to be contained to Indesign files in a certain folder. Could it be a file permissions issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicating the files inside this folder creates an interesting issue. The original file will be damaged when I try to save it, however the duplicated file is able to be saved.

I will just duplicate the parent folder and it seems this will fix my issue.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

defaultqfxq7dll8nro said:
"It seems to be contained to Indesign files in a certain folder. Could it be a file permissions issue?"

What was that "certain folder"?

Did you check folder properties like permission etc.pp.?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines