• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic renaming of images in Layers panel to match relinking?

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick question - working with a magazine template as starting-point and it would be lovely if the layers panel could update with image filename when I relink an image. Have to do it manually, eg change item name in layers panel from '[YOUR IMAGE HERE]' to 'fish' once 'fish' placed; and then later may want to relink to 'dog' image via links panel/relink and therefore will need to change item title in layers panel to 'dog' from 'fish'. Hmm. Have just spent a while googling and either I'm not phrasing my q properly or you can't do it. TIA

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

...Maybe it's to do with the fact that when you create a frame, it's automatically entitled <rectangle>, etc, but in this instance, the template designer has manually entitled the frame '[your image here]' which means the process of updating automatically with image title has been interrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page items—images, frames, text etc.—are listed as sub layers, and the default name for linked images is their file name. So the typical Layer usage is a generic name like Photos, with the placed images as page items contained in the Photos layer:

Screen Shot 17.pngScreen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um... not quite what I meant. If I create a frame from scratch and then place an image then yes, it will appear in layers as sublayer with name of image as sublayer title. *But*, I'm talking about working with a template where there are existing placeholders entitled '[Your Image Here]'. Placing an image into these placeholders does not update the sublayer name for that item. And similarly, relinking (changing image) from the Links panel also doesn't change sublayer name (title of image). So I'm left with [Your Image Here], whatever image goes into the placeholder. I've just experimented with relinking in the first scenario where I've created a frame from scratch and indeed, the sublayer name updates to match the relinked image. So really what I'm talking about, then, is working with templates where there's a frame as a placeholder and 'Place' doesn't update the frame name (['Your Image Here']) with the name of the image. Thanks for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

layers.PNG

The frame entitled '[Your Image Here]' does not update to image title when I place an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about working with a template where there are existing placeholders entitled '[Your Image Here]'.

Having an image frame in the template is not enough for the designer to know that an image has to be placed in the frame? You could place a fake image named “Your Image Here” so when the image will be updated, the actual name will also be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So *I'm the designer* in this instance and as you say, finding it frustrating! Yes, it would be useful to have a fake image, although having a frame is quite neat for the template creator to have provided, in order to keep the workspace uncluttered with distracting visuals. It seems my question is answered - the image frame provided by template designer will not automatically update with image name upon place... but it does update with image name if I create the image frame and then next step place an image! Odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Maybe it's to do with the fact that when you create a frame, it's automatically entitled <rectangle>, etc, but in this instance, the template designer has manually entitled the frame '[your image here]' which means the process of updating automatically with image title has been interrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is the reason. But I really don't see the the point of having this name in the layer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines