• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic Sequential Numbers That Aren't Pages

Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make storyboards I like to number each frame.  I'd like to know how to set up text boxes for the frame numbers so that they autofill sequentially, regardless how many pages I make.  Ex  1-6 on the first page, 7-12 on the second page, 13-18 etc...

Thanks,

Marc

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Set up a text frame for each storyboard
  2. Chain them together
  3. Set the type in the first frame to a numbered list
  4. Insert a frame break character for each text frame, they will each have a consecutive number in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to chain the text frames. You can create a numbered paragraph style with a list. If you apply this paragraph style to each text frame, you'll get consecutive numbersCapture d’écran 2020-01-08 à 10.49.48.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive me tagging on to an old thread. 

I don’t seem to get consecutive numbers across pages with either approach. 

The numbers only show if some break character is in the Text Frame but then the frames can’t be primaries so the numbering on the pages is exactly the same as on the master page. 

Is this as expected or am I overlooking something? 

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 10.52.14.pngScreenshot 2021-05-10 at 10.52.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The numbers only show if some break character is in the Text Frame

Not a break character, any one will trigger the numbering. I like to use space

but then the frames can’t be primaries so the numbering on the pages is exactly the same as on the master page.

You must override the master elements to see the actual numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 

Do I understand correctly that this can not be fully automated without a Script? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but since I am not a scripter…

What do you want to achieve? Maybe there is another solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to the original poster it is about numbering frames in multi-page storyboards (five per page in the current layout). 

I wonder if it would be possible to use Captions with the numbered Paragraph Style and somehow »hide« the metadata the Caption represents, that way one might be able to avoid numbering empty frames. 

Anyway: Thank you again for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

as I understand the question by Marc: There should be a sequence of numbers in one paragraph.

A "from-to" situation.

I can see a way to do this with two components:

1. A numbered list that continues numbering accross stories.

2. Two Text Variables that pick up the first and the last occurance of the paragraphs with the numbered list on the page.

That's only part 1 of the solution.

Part 2 is to convert the numbers of the numbered list to plain text characters so that the text variables can pick up the actual numbers. Some screenshots to illustrate the idea below. From my German InDesign:

Part 1 set up. The text in the paragraphs of the numbered list could be formatted invisible with e.g. fill color [None] so that only the text is visible where the both text variables are used:

TextVariables-plus-Numbered-List-LIVE-CC-2020.PNG

Part 2 after I converted the paragraphs where the numbering is used from auto-number to actual editable text.

Both text variables now pick up the actual numbers of the first and the last number on the page:

TextVariables-plus-Numbered-List-CONVERTED-TO-TEXT-CC-2020.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc,

some more details about my solution using two Running Header text variables together with a Numbering List:

If you are not familiar with text variables and running headers, read this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/text-variables.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/numbering-pages-chapters-sections.html#create_variables_for_r...

You can download my sample InDesign documents with additional screenshots from my Dropbox account:

200108-1-NumberedList-plus-TextVariables-Define-FromTo.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj34c7q1v6jyoom/200108-1-NumberedList-plus-TextVariables-Define-FromTo.zip...

Use the paragraph style panel to convert numbering to text:

TextVariables-plus-Numbered-List-CONVERT-TO-TEXT-CC-2020.png

Definition of the text variable for First on Page:TextVariables-plus-Numbered-List-LIVE-1-CC-2020.PNG

Definition of the text variable for Last on Page:

TextVariables-plus-Numbered-List-LIVE-2-CC-2020.PNG

How the numbering is done with the paragraph style. Note: You need a custom numebring list to define that numbering continues accross stories:

TextVariables-plus-Numbered-List-LIVE-3-CC-2020.PNG

Fill color of the paragraph style used for the automatic numbering set to [None]:TextVariables-plus-Numbered-List-LIVE-4-CC-2020.PNG

Definition of the custom Numbering List: Continue numbering accross stories

TextVariables-plus-Numbered-List-LIVE-5-CC-2020.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

I've made a script that solves this (works for Indesign 2023 (18))
Basically, type in any sequential text box "Seq" (no "), then run the script by double clicking it (instructions below) 

It will sequentially number any text box from top to bottom, left to right 1,2,3,4,5 etc. It's best to do this as a final step, as once the boxes become numbers, you need to start over to re-order them.

I can't upload a .jsx here, but change this .txt to .jsx then put in the script folder. Here are instructions on how to use:

1. Save the Script File: Save your script as a .jsx file. For example, you can save it as SequentialNumbering.jsx.

2. Locate the Scripts Folder: Open Adobe InDesign and go to the "Scripts" panel. If it's not visible, you can enable it by going to "Window" > "Utilities" > "Scripts". In the Scripts panel, right-click on the "User" folder and choose "Reveal in Finder" (macOS) or "Reveal in Explorer" (Windows). This will open the scripts folder location.

3. Copy the Script File: In the scripts folder, copy the .jsx file you saved in step 1. You can simply drag and drop the file into the scripts folder.

4. If it's not showing up, restart Adobe InDesign, but with mine it showed up automatically

5. Access the Script: Open the "Scripts" panel again. You should see your script listed under the "User" folder in the Scripts panel.

6. Run the Script: To run the script, double-click on its name in the Scripts panel. Alternatively, you can right-click on the script and choose "Run" from the context menu. The script will execute, and any "seq"s will become a number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greate,
But how can we used it with selected text frame only in page, and all text frame have many words?

Appreciate 
Loay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines