Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically adding blank space in a text field

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello designers!
I am working on an interactive pdf document with fillable fields using Adobe InDesign.
Right now, I have to make a special editable field.
When someone is typing his/her bank account, which is this format RO 88 BACX 0000 0000 0000 1111, the field should behave this way: after every completion of a section (let's say after typing "RO", automatically a blank space - as if he/she typed the spacebar on the keyboard - should be added. The workflow will be like this: I type "RO", then the cursor automatically jumps one space, I type "88", then the cursor automatically jumps one space and so on and so forth.
I can achieve this in InDesign and if yes, how?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you are keeping the number in a single field, you can try to use GREP to create a rule that will format the text, including always in capitals, etc.

I don't think the rule will apply when you convert to PDF. I would recommend to create that rule in Acrobat (the full version, not Reader) the same way you would custom format a date input or a phone number. Also, you can add some validation that the correct number of digits are typed to help your users avoid missing characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, I do not have a license for Adobe Pro, thus I want to use just InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines