• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically hiding page number on blank pages

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to anybody who will read this question!

I am using InDesign 2019 and I am far from being pro!!!

In a book or in a long document, a new chapter or section starts on an odd page. So the previous chapter ends with a "jump to the next odd page". If the previous chapter ends itself on an odd page, there is thus a blank even page before the first page of the new chapter.

My question is thus very simple: is it possible to automatically hide the page number on these blank even pages?

Thanking you in advance for your help,

Yours faithfully,

Pascal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

This is a paid script, but one of the features is "choose master to apply to all blank pages."
Mastermatic | Id-Extras.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a separate master page that doesn't have the page number. If there are other master elements you need on the blank page (title, chapter, etc.), you can make your number-less master based on the other master...so it's essentially the same but without page number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Erica,

Thank you for your immediate answer!

Yes of course, I remove the A-Master to the corresponding pages and thus I have a full blank page, but I do this manually, chapter by chapter. My question is whether this can be automated for all blank pages…

Regards,

Pascal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a script to assign a specific master to all blank pages (if, indeed, ALL blank pages should get the same treatment). I missed the "automatically" part of your question. I haven't had my caffeine yet, haha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right!!!

Looking at the first answers I got, it seems that such an option doesn't exist. So maybe Adobe engineers should add it…

This is particularly useful when you prepare the edition of a book within a limited amount of time and when the text is still under evolution. Page jumps can thus vary depending on insertions or removals of text.

Thanks again for your answers!

Regards,

Pascal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a paid script, but one of the features is "choose master to apply to all blank pages."
Mastermatic | Id-Extras.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To second Erica: after your layout is done, select icons of those blank pages in Pages panel, holding Ctrl/Cmd key, then click on [None] master page (or any other you want to apply, without Auto Page Numbers on it) holding Alt/Opt key. There are few other ways to do the same, but this one is the fastest. Not a big deal, imho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I'm not sure I understand your issue.

I believe you work with a Indb Book and that you set "continue on the next odd page" in the Book page numbering options, right?

If you tick the "Insert blank page" options, I believe InDesign adds, well... a blank page... with no page numbers, doesn't it?

Btw, this option is cool, but - unless there's a fix in latest versions (I use CS6) - the added blank page isn't automatically removed if you delete some text and that, after reflowing, you end up with an even last page. Afaik, you must be careful with unwanted blank pages at the end of chapters and delete them manually.

Ideally, you could use a script to delete them. There's a cool script that (is supposed to) do it, but looks like it doesn't work when the "Insert blank page" is checked:

Delete blank pages only at the end of the document

Harbs.​, if you read this...

conttinue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines