• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically shift contents to the side based on even/odd

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a two-page master where odd pages are on the right and even are on the left.  The header (chapter) and footer (page number and document number) are to the "outside" edge of the page (left justified for even, right justified for odd).  

On the content page, I have a combination of text, images and other objects.  As far as I know, when I place an object on the page (like an image box), it is anchored to a specific x,y coordinate on the page. We build many separate documents individually, then use the book tool to build them into a book.  I synchronize styles, and it adjusts the header/footer to move it to the correct side of the page, even if the even/odd pagination differs in the book build from the original document.

We are having issue, though, with the "inside" edge of the page content being pinched in the binding when we print the documents.  I know that I could adjust the text box in the master document to be shifted left/right, but that wouldn't automatically update the location of images or other objects to shift them left or right, depending on the inside vs. outside.

Is there a setting or method I can use to automatically shift all odd page content a quarter inch right and all even page content a quarter inch left?

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Adjust Page Script, found Windows > Utilities > Scripts

One note about this script, it will allow you to specify adjustments for even and odd pages independently. However (on my version) Odd and Even are incorrect. To adjust an even page, I would enter specs in the odd pages section.

And before you use script, save document, or use on a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would this work for book building and synchronizing styles?  For example, we may have a document (A) that is 2 pages, followed by one (B) that is 1 page, followed by a 3 page (C), etc. 

When the documents are created, it looks more like this

A1 

A2

B1

C1

C3  C3

But when they are book built, they look like this

A1 

A2  B1 

C1  C2 

C3

The synchronize styles command in the book build moves the header and footer appropriately for the pages that "switched sides."  (In the example above, all of the C document would be switched from left to right.)  Will that script do the same thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your top example, the script will treat A1, B1, C1, C3 as even, and A2, C2 as odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So this script won't do what I need it to do, then.  

Is there anything in the master pages that will move items attached to the page as well as the primary text box?  Or is there a way to apply a script to a book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines