Exit

Avoid text block overlays after data merge

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Google Translate... Eeeerk !)

Hello,

I have an annual brochure to put in page in Indesign CC 14.0 and each module (2 blocks of text "vis-à-vis", chained horizontally)  which composes it is constituted by the fusion of data which I put in place in the form of an Excel export. In itself, everything works correctly: the modules give the good results ...

But!... There is a big problem: depending on the size of the text to merge, always variable in number of lines, its module well cover all or part of the following, and so on. In the end, instead of having each of the modules below each other with a gap that I wanted (12pt), I have a big "piece" of ***.

How to solve this problem and require that each module is separated from its next module of the desired gap (12pt for me)?

I thank you in advance for answering me (and having read me).

Regards,

DS

EDIT :

Eureka !

print design - Overlapping text with InDesign's data merge - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi djms ,

there is a workflow you could avoid this.

The ingredients: Stacking frames in the right stacking order with text wrap, using top inset of the text frame and automatic height.

Easier done than explained. No need for a script, I think.

From my German InDesign:

StackingTextFrames-Frame1-contents-will-push-Frame2-contents-down.PNG

Text frame 1 contents is pushing text frame 2 contents down.

The trick is to align both frames on the top edge of each.

You can do that with more than two text frames as well.

Text frame 2 has a top inset to get a gap between the contents of the two frames.

Groth of both text frames is set to automatic, height only.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auf Deutsch Hallo (danke an DeepL für die Übersetzung)

Ich bin froh, dass Sie mir antworten konnten!

Auf der Suche nach einer Lösung habe ich zumindest dieses von Loïc Aigon (www.ozalto.com) erstellte Skript "InlineMerge.jsxbin" gefunden, das im folgenden Link beschrieben ist:

https://creativepro.com/data-merge-into-inline-anchored-objects-so-they-flow-in-a-story/

Ich habe mehrere mehrseitige Dokumente damit erstellt...

https://danielstreng.fr/saison-20192020

Es wäre sicherlich noch verbesserungswürdig, und das, was Sie mir am Beispiel zeigen, ist vielleicht einfacher, weniger umständlich und effektiv, aber für meine Bedürfnisse mehr als ausreichend.
Trotzdem werde ich sehen, was Ihr Vorschlag ergibt, indem ich ihn an verschiedenen Fällen teste.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe und viel Glück in diesen schwierigen Zeiten.

DS

In English (thanks to DeepL for the translation)

Hello,

Glad you could answer me!

By dint of looking for a solution, I at least found this script created by Loïc Aigon (www.ozalto.com), " InlineMerge.jsxbin ", described in the following link :

https://creativepro.com/data-merge-into-inline-anchored-objects-so-they-flow-in-a-story/
I made several multi-page documents using it...

https://danielstreng.fr/saison-20192020

It would certainly require some improvements and what you show me by example may be simpler, less cumbersome and effective, but it's more than enough for my needs.
Nevertheless, I will see what your suggestion gives by testing it on different cases.

Thank you for your help and good luck in these difficult times.

DS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi DS,

my French is nearly non-existant, so I hope it's OK to stay with English.

I'm glad, that you picked up my suggestion. This technique is thought for text that should be moved and still should stay in its own text frame ( for whatever reason ). As you could imagine, my suggested text frames cannot be part of a multi-textframe story by default.

The purpose of the mentioned script, thanks for the links, is meant to move all merged texts to a single story.

Both ideas have its purpose.

All the best to you,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines