• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Background tasks won't cancel/load

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've transferred my Indesign file a couple of times to see how the PDF would look like, but all of a sudden my 'background tasks' kind of crashed. It won't load more than 60% of transferring it to a PDF file, so I've cancelled the tasks and now it keeps saying 'cancelling'. On top of that, when I want to create a new PDF file again or close Indesign it says it can't be closed/loaded as there some 'background tasks' going on. Before I didn't have this problem and I have no clue what is wrong (I can save my InDesign file though). Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

When the 'Background tasks' was introduced, at the first time, tried to use it and experienced exactly the same problems.

Solution: go back to 'old school' export routine.

Manual method (undocumented feature):

1. Create blank text file “DisableAsyncExports.txt”.

2. Place it in:

MAC OS: /Applications/Adobe InDesign XX/Adobe InDesign XX.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableAsyncExports.txt

Win: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign XX\DisableAsyncExports.txt

(path where your ID is installed).

3. To get things back,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually this can be fixed by Force Quitting InDesign and just trying it all over again. To Force Quit type Option-Command-esc (on a Mac) and choose InDesign in the Force Quit List. If this doesn't work deleting your InDesign preferences might be necessary.

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 7.39.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the 'Background tasks' was introduced, at the first time, tried to use it and experienced exactly the same problems.

Solution: go back to 'old school' export routine.

Manual method (undocumented feature):

1. Create blank text file “DisableAsyncExports.txt”.

2. Place it in:

MAC OS: /Applications/Adobe InDesign XX/Adobe InDesign XX.app/Contents/MacOS/DisableAsyncExports.txt

Win: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign XX\DisableAsyncExports.txt

(path where your ID is installed).

3. To get things back, just remove/rename that text file.

Alternatively, you can use the free script by  Marijan Tompa 'tomaxxi' - controlBackgroundExport.jsx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi winterm ,

thank you for sharing the trick with “DisableAsyncExports.txt”.

Don't know when, but someone at Adobe has documented the feature under "Solution 4" here:

Export to PDF (Print) in InDesign hangs and cannot quit

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, didn't know that, thank You, Uwe. I stand corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a bug in InDesign across multiple version, for many years. Hangs when exporting PDFs go back to the very first incarnations of InDesign and the cancel background tasks feature, intended to provide an easy way out, has never worked.

I simply cannot understand why Adobe has not found a solution that does not involve force quitting or placing obscure text files in obscure locations. Sometimes things go wrong in an app, especially such a complex and powerful app such as this. But what's the point in having a 'cancel background task' feature that is incapable of cancelling a task whenever you need it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about the rest of you but to this day the problem still occurs.

I have even had my indesign file corrupted because of all this (200+ page catalogs getting corrupted is a serious issue).

last year I updated to the latest Indesign and again it caused the same issue but it also totally corrupted my catalog so much I had to go back to an earlier backed up version - costing me hours of extra labor and tress.

I had to uninstall the latest version of indesign and load two versions previous.

I am getting extremely fed up with Adobes lack of action to this serious issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree this effects my workflow all the time when I am working and switching between a number of projects. Adobe has lost it's way adding this function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines