Highlighted

Backspace, Enter and Arrow Keys not working in Textfield editing

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a duplicat of these 2 posts:

One User had the problem on a Mac and downgraded his version. That's not a viable solution.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/cant-backspace-delete-in-indesign-using-mac-10-14-6-mojave-a...

This user turned of Windows Defender, and that solved the problem. It did not for me.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/text-unable-to-backspace-or-use-arrow-keys-to-move-cursor-sh...

I can select Text with the mouse,  I can delete it using del, but not backspace. I cannot break a line or create a bullet using return.
I tried this with my regular (corded) keyboard as well as the screen keyboard, both same behaviour.

I can use all keys in an input field (like changing an Object Name), so it's not the keys that are disabled, just what they do in Type Tool Object.

I'm onWin10 and I downloaded and installed InDesign yesterday (Apr. 15, 2020) 15.0.2 x64

Sorry, but that seemed like too much work for just evaluating the product. Took the lazy route, de-install, re-install, it works now.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Backspace, Enter and Arrow Keys not working in Textfield editing

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a duplicat of these 2 posts:

One User had the problem on a Mac and downgraded his version. That's not a viable solution.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/cant-backspace-delete-in-indesign-using-mac-10-14-6-mojave-a...

This user turned of Windows Defender, and that solved the problem. It did not for me.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/text-unable-to-backspace-or-use-arrow-keys-to-move-cursor-sh...

I can select Text with the mouse,  I can delete it using del, but not backspace. I cannot break a line or create a bullet using return.
I tried this with my regular (corded) keyboard as well as the screen keyboard, both same behaviour.

I can use all keys in an input field (like changing an Object Name), so it's not the keys that are disabled, just what they do in Type Tool Object.

I'm onWin10 and I downloaded and installed InDesign yesterday (Apr. 15, 2020) 15.0.2 x64

Sorry, but that seemed like too much work for just evaluating the product. Took the lazy route, de-install, re-install, it works now.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We regularly hear reports of other applications interfering with keys in InDesign.

My suggestion is that you reboot your computer and only open InDesign—do the keys work normally now? If not, disable the auto-load apps and try again. Once everything is working, begin to add back in your apps to figure out which one is causing the issue. Windows Defender was cited above, but we also hear about Webroot causing issues along with other apps.

Most users are able to use Backspace, Delete, Enter, etc. so most likely the issue is with your particular setup.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, too:

Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

No Luck

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That clears preferences, which should not be an issue with a first time installation. The preferences will corrupt over time, but you have a brand new set.

I want to clarify that you disabled all the startup apps in Windows 10, and then rebooted the computer and only launched InDesign and the keys were still not working. No other applications were shown as running in Task Mgr.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-stop-windows-10-apps-from-launching-at-startup

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0