• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bad breaks and double hyphenation

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to stop ID from hyphenating a word that already has a hyphen in it? I'm trying to avoid bad breaks like:

twen-ty-

two

I'd like ID to either break the word where the hyphen already is, or not break the word at all.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Check out this post from David Blatner at InDesign Secrets: https://indesignsecrets.com/stop-hyphenated-words-hyphenating.php

It involves setting up a "no-break" Character style then using Grep Styles to find actually hyphenated words and applying the no-break style to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this post from David Blatner at InDesign Secrets: https://indesignsecrets.com/stop-hyphenated-words-hyphenating.php

It involves setting up a "no-break" Character style then using Grep Styles to find actually hyphenated words and applying the no-break style to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add a discretionay hypen (ctrl-shift-dash) after the hypen then you will get as you want while retaining the flexibility of reflowable text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't always work, unfortunately. Sometimes ID will break the word in a place other than where the discretionary hyphen is, or I'll get two hyphens showing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben je er al uit? Bij bewerken - voorkeuren-  moet je bij woordenboek Hunspell wijzigen in Proximity.

Probleem opgelost. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was putting it at the start of the hyphenated word (probably a Quark habit) and this is exactly what I needed. Ty!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a trick I know from Word. Right after the dash (that divides the word) press ctrl HOLD and and press the enter key. ALWAYS works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having a PROBLEM with hyphenate!! It is breaking words in absolutely wrong places:  examples:  so-mething, ge-nerations, Cz-echoslovakia - you get the idea. Have any of you had any resolution with your issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your text have the correct language?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the formatting options for text is Language.

What you describe sounds like your text is formatted for a language other than English.

In the control panel the selected text's language setting is at the far right, under the character style. It's also in the Character panel, and it's in style sheet definitions under "Advanced Character Formats."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elaine, thank you for your reply. Actually my text is all in english, with a few Czech words being used. I will take a look at the options you recommended. Again, thank you, Debbie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text I'm working with is all english with a few Czech words that are names of books. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typing in English doesn't necessarily mean the assigned language is English. Assigned language is a character-level format setting that can be set in your paragraph styles, as a character style, or as a local override. You can see the assigned language in the Control Panel in text mode, among other places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which language did you specify in your paragraph style? In the paragraph style you define the main language for that paragraph. Exceptions need character styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was definitely having a glitch with ID back when I wrote this. It resolved itself. I've never changed the language setting.

Thank you for your help earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines