Highlighted

balance ragged lines not working: how to break it

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just going through a chapter and noticed this heading doesn't "balance ragged lines." Hmph.

Balance-Ragged-Lines-not-working.jpg

I was sure I had set that in the paragraph style. I checked, and indeed it was set for "Balance Ragged Lines" in the paragraph style. Hmph. I said to myself, "I'll just manually fix it with a line but not paragraph break after the colon" and it looked fine. Until I looked at the Table of Contents and that line break was there in the Table of Contents, messing it up. Hmph.

I did a bit of experimenting. If you note the headers at the top, and read https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/option-make-subsection-headers-not-persist-beyond-their-ends..., I have the heading styled with the do-nothing HeadText1 character style, a space after the heading's text styled with the do-nothing HeadText2 character style, and a space after that styled with the do-nothing HeadText3 character style. As you can see from the headers, this prevents the H3 heading from the previous page, styled with the do-nothing HeadText3 character style, from showing up in this page's headers.

However… and I tested this… it's those spaces that break the Balance Ragged Lines.

Why would a space at the end of the line break this? I bounced the idea around in my head for a reason, and couldn't come up with this. I suspect it's a bug and not a feature. If anyone can suggest a workaround, or Adobe can fix it in the next version of InDesign, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.  

TOPICS
Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

balance ragged lines not working: how to break it

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just going through a chapter and noticed this heading doesn't "balance ragged lines." Hmph.

Balance-Ragged-Lines-not-working.jpg

I was sure I had set that in the paragraph style. I checked, and indeed it was set for "Balance Ragged Lines" in the paragraph style. Hmph. I said to myself, "I'll just manually fix it with a line but not paragraph break after the colon" and it looked fine. Until I looked at the Table of Contents and that line break was there in the Table of Contents, messing it up. Hmph.

I did a bit of experimenting. If you note the headers at the top, and read https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/option-make-subsection-headers-not-persist-beyond-their-ends..., I have the heading styled with the do-nothing HeadText1 character style, a space after the heading's text styled with the do-nothing HeadText2 character style, and a space after that styled with the do-nothing HeadText3 character style. As you can see from the headers, this prevents the H3 heading from the previous page, styled with the do-nothing HeadText3 character style, from showing up in this page's headers.

However… and I tested this… it's those spaces that break the Balance Ragged Lines.

Why would a space at the end of the line break this? I bounced the idea around in my head for a reason, and couldn't come up with this. I suspect it's a bug and not a feature. If anyone can suggest a workaround, or Adobe can fix it in the next version of InDesign, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.  

TOPICS
Bug, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 04, 2020 0

Have something to add?