Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Barnes & Nobile Book Layout in Adobe Indesign

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I am having the biggest problem formatting a book for Barnes & Nobile publishing, inside of InDesign. 

My OS is Win10, 64bit, latest version. InDesign is also updated to the most current version. I'm creating a 5.5-8.5  paperback book.

My Margins are...

Top: 0.5

Bottom: 0.5

Inside: 0.75

Outside: 0.5

My bleeds are...

Top: 0.125

Bottom: 0.125

Inside: 0

Outside: 0.125

Please see attached files for the screenshot of my InDesign layout as well as the Barnes & Nobile error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

These are the recommended dimensions per Barnes & Nobile.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from download&install>

kglad_0-1611929847123.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really need bleed on a paperback book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm a novice when it comes to book layouts. But, according to B&S guidelines, if the layout has images that run over the edge, bleed should be added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you uploading a Word document, a PDF or an InDesign document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, thanks for responding. Barnes & Nobile requires a pdf document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, January 29, 2021_07h51m51s_001_.pngAshampoo_Snap_Friday, January 29, 2021_07h52m54s_002_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An InDesign document’s pages can be sized to any dimension—they are not necessarily the same size as the Document dimensions. Check the page sizes using the Page tool. With the Page Tool active, click a page’s thumbnail in the Pages panel and the Transform or Control panel will give you the Width and Height:

Screen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob, thanks for responding. I am aware of what you mentioned. However, the issue is that for whatever reason, my layout is not meeting Barnes & Nobile's requirements. 

Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, January 29, 2021_07h52m54s_002_.pngAshampoo_Snap_Friday, January 29, 2021_07h51m51s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sending a PDF? If so what Export Preset did you use and have you checked the page dimensions via AcrobatPro? You can use Preflight to check individual pages or Document Properties  for the document size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share the problem PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines