Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner CS4 - bullets, hanging indents, second line probs

Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been wrestling with a simple problem and despite online instruction, can't get my bullets to line up correctly. I set up bullets with a left indent of .25", first line indent of -.25 in and a tab set at .125" to make the distance closer between bullets and text. But unless I use the default settings and eliminate my tab -- which creates a too big distance between bullet and text, the second line refuses to hang properly -- it's indenting more to the right than the first line.

bullets.jpg

I'm not a very experienced user, sorry to say, so thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That extra tab combined with the hanging indent is tripping you up.

Try to get used to setting a bullet style from the Paragraph Styles panel.

Tab Bullets Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this, but I get an error message: Invalid indent value. Indents cannot extend outside text frame. It's funny, I'm using as a template a file we did a year  ago where the bullets did what they were supposed to. I've just cut a few tables from it and changed the text.  Thanks if you can explain what I'm doing wrong (besides everything!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message you got indicates that you tried to set the negative indent before the positive indent. Do it the other way around.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bingo!  Thanks -- and here I was fussing for hours.  Should have come here sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone new to InDesign who's serious about learning it should buy Sandee Cohen's Visual Quick Start Guide: http://amzn.to/erzJBL

Best $20 you'll ever spend.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines