• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best ePub dimensions

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a landscape kids' book for print that I need to convert (recreating from scratch to single pages, as the spreads are too wide to simply export) for a fixed-layout ePub for Apple and Kindle. 

What are the best dimensions to create for an ePub that will work for most devices? Most of the ePub info I have found is about exporting and that won't work for this pub. Thank you!

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020
What are the current dimensions? What does too wide mean?

If you want it perfect on an iPad, stick with 2048x1536.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

It's not difficult, Bob has given you the (an) answer.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 16.50.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, it doesn't matter. It will either expand or contract to fit the screen and there's simply no way to make sure it looks perfect on all devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not worried about perfect, really. Just new and trying to sort options. 16:9? 2224x1668? I'm assuming there's a too-small for quality and too-large for file size...or maybe that gets decided on the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's already set up for print just use that and export it out and check it on your iPad using the Books app. If it's good there it won't be any better anywhere else no matter what you do.

Be prepared for issues on kindle, Windows, or Android. Reader apps are bit sketchy but Thorium Reader is showing some promise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't. It's a landscape layout and will be too wide so I am going to reformat it manually. I just need a recommendation to start for a fixed layout epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the current dimensions? What does too wide mean?

If you want it perfect on an iPad, stick with 2048x1536.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, The book is 24 cm wide and 17 cm high, landscape. I do not want to export it as an ePub as it needs spreads as it is formatted now. I want to create an ePub landscape single page version and I want to understand how to choose the optimal dimensions to start with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export allows you to convert spreads to single landscape pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that, but there are lots of crossover images and graphics so that won't work. It needs to be redesigned for single pages which I am happy to do, also because we are adding some interactivity.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you think that won't work. Why not try it first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did. It doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanmc – There are lots of sizes and aspect ratios for the various devices now available, so you can't get a perfect one (unless you're creating a FXL ePub for one model).

With Reflowable ePubs, it doesn't matter what size or aspect ratio you create in the Indesign document; the ePub reflows to fit the device or reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, I am aware that there are many devices around. As I stated above, I am not looking for perfection. As I also stated above, I am indeed created a fixed layout kids' book, I am also familiar with reflowable and wouldn't have the question in that case.

Sorry guys, I had no idea this would be such so difficult!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not difficult, Bob has given you the (an) answer.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 16.50.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, thanks to you both!

One last question, why would you need a Bleed setting on an ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No bleed needed (and not indicated in my New Document screen shot).

Margins are your choice of sizes.

By the way, those using a Mac and are interested in producing FXL ePubs, it might be worth having a look at CircularFlow:

https://www.circularflo.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I just saw the option for the bleed but couldn't imagine why you would need one on a digital publication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines