• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Practice for Removing Selected Master Page Elements

Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

We have two master pages for our book design—one for the first page of chapters and another for subsequent pages. All of that works well. But I'd love to hear from others what you think might be the best practice for keeping the pages before the Contents page free of the page numbers which are generated by both Master Pages. I certainly know how to manually select and delete those from the pre-contents pages which shouldn't have page numbers. But if and when I synchronize master pages for the whole book, those page numbers come back again. How best to keep them off permanently. Making two further master pages, identical to the others but without page numbers seems overkill to me. In any case, thanks for your suggestions!

Best,

Jonathan

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing overkill about it and you could have done it faster than typing out that post.

And remember, you can base masters on other masters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob,

despite what has become predictable cheekiness from experts like yourself on this forum. But I do appreciate your post. I always try to keep styles and mater pages orderly, hence my curiosity for whether I could avoid what would then become four or five different sets of duelling master pages—First Page + Subsequent pages for pre-contents, the bulk of the book, credits, endnotes, and index, when most of those are only tweaked versions of the main masters I use.

So, in your work, is common to have many subtle variations of Master Pages?

Best,

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, while I love to use sarcasm, there’s nothing sarcastic about it.

I’ve done projects with a lot more masters than this. Start off with just page numbers and if you have documents that require light and dark versions you’d need variations of those.

Then there are variations on layouts, etc.

Now, I’ll give you this…for 24 page document it might be overkill, but for a 600 page document, not so much.

So, I suppose the real answer it…it depends. 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>> So, in your work, is common to have many subtle variations of Master Pages?

Why not? 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines