• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Proofing Inkjet Printer for design agency?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing a couple of similar questions asked in the forums over time but no good answers so I will try it myself. I work for a small design agency and am planning to purchase a new inkjet printer to produce comps to show clients before things are commercially printed. We have a nice laser printer but want a new inkjet printer as well. We currently use an old Epson Stylus Photo 1400 but it's starting to die. Any suggestions on what you think works best for a design agency? We probably only need it to print on 19" wide paper.

Ideally this inket printer would:
• Print on a variety of different papers (coated, uncoated, different weights, etc.)
• Not go through more ink than other comparable printers

• Produce reasonably accurate color compared to other inkjet printers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

We had a Canon and HP at one point for GraCol proofing. We ended up going with Epson with a built in Photospectrometer.

Haven't looked back since.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek, I'll check it out. I really appreciate it. Any particular reason you like this one over other options? Or are you just saying it's a good option? Curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have this printer but I read about it recently and it seemed to offer a number of facilities, from being able to print accurately either a wide gamut (for art shots) or CMYK colour (for match colour proofing) on a range of papers and weights and up to A2 size at not a bad price of less than a £1000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, sounds like a good option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a Canon and HP at one point for GraCol proofing. We ended up going with Epson with a built in Photospectrometer.

Haven't looked back since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Built in Photospectrometer sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like one of the large format printers though and probably a little bit overkill for what we need. I'll take a look though. Great recommendation, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I know your Epson model numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer, which Epson printer did you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use an Epson Stylus Pro 4900 with GMG ColorProof – works fine.
But I would consider buying an external measurement device, since you can use it for other things as well. We use an x-rite i1pro2 for that.
If you buy it built-in, you just can measure/verify your proofs – but not e.g. compare your proof with a physicial reference you want to get close to.
Or you have a reference and want to know the closest PANTONE match... you can do so much with an external spectralphotometer 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Epson SureColor P5000 its a 17" wide model so I can run larger prints as needed. If you are color critical, I would follow Jens post and get an i1 calibrator.

As for work we have two - a SureColor P8000 and P9570 large format 44" printers. Both of those have inline spectrometers to calibrate. We also use the i1isis calibrator. It it automated so it reads an entire sheet instead of the i1 Pro which needs a cradle or steady hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer, that Epson P5000 looks like a sweet printer. I totally agree with Jen and already have a 2017 X-Rite Colormunki Photo, which uses the i1Studio software. 

So has the P5000 been reliable? How are your supply costs? What papers have you been using with it? I'll probably need a paper that's coated two sides for the type of work I'm doing. In the past, I've had a lot of success with paper from Red River. Thanks for your help. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thumbs up on Red River paper. Beautiful results and reasonable prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines