• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to insert images into InDesign project?

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am putting together a portfolio and wanting to include sreenshots of my websites in various devies, for example a desktop screen, tablet and mobile. 

What would be the best way to insert images into the devices? 

I am familiar with Photoshop and would usually create a rectangle and then use that as a mask and insert a JPEG/PNG into this.

Can I do similar in InDesign? Or should I create the mockups of the devies in Photoshop, save them as JPEGs/PNGs and then add them to my InDesign document?

I will also be printing this document so it would need to be high-res.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as a high res screenshot. Just take the screenshot and place it into your layout using the file place command. You can scale it down a bit if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will also be printing this document so it would need to be high-res.

In InDesign the output resolution of any placed image is dependant on its scale—the output resolution is listed as Effective Resolution in the Link Info panel. If you place a 72ppi screen capture, and scale it to 50%, its output resolution will be 144ppi—at 24%, it would be 300ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi toolman123,

if your printer insists on "highres" screenshots, because an automatic preflight will flag "lowres" images in your provided print PDFs, you could "upsample" the images by e.g. doubling the pixels in PhotoShop to trick that auto preflight. That would not hurt the contents. Best create the screenshots as PNGs if you have a choice.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines