Highlighted

Bitmap images seem to print at a lower quality

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a cartoonist, I work with bitmap images saved as TIF. This has always been working like a charm.

However, since upgrading to Adobe CC, my bitmap images seem to print at a lower quality.

I have checked all the settings I can think of but can't find anything wrong.

The lower quality may not be super-obvious, but it's like the images are printing @ 300 ppi rather than 1200 ppi (for example - the effective resolution for my pages are something like 2250 ppi).

My printer is an HP LaserJet P2055d.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Topics

Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Bitmap images seem to print at a lower quality

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a cartoonist, I work with bitmap images saved as TIF. This has always been working like a charm.

However, since upgrading to Adobe CC, my bitmap images seem to print at a lower quality.

I have checked all the settings I can think of but can't find anything wrong.

The lower quality may not be super-obvious, but it's like the images are printing @ 300 ppi rather than 1200 ppi (for example - the effective resolution for my pages are something like 2250 ppi).

My printer is an HP LaserJet P2055d.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Topics

Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a PDF of the InDesign file and use PDFX4a - with no compression in the compression settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input.

I tried printing both directly from InDesign and from a PDF made per your suggestion and I couldn't tell the difference. Actually, both prints look OK.

I'm not sure if the problem persists. It may have been solved in a recent upgrade? I discovered this some time ago but only got around to posting about it now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you print make sure Send Data is set to All in the Graphics tab.

Also, try setting your Appearance of Black Printing/Exporting to Output All Blacks as Rich Black. If your line art color is the default [Black] swatch there could be a color conversion happening at output that would convert 100% CMYK black (0|0|0|100) to smething less than 100% gray—your line might be getting a halftone screen applied.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines