• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank link in InDesign

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a year or more I've been putting up with a link that shows up at the start of my (re-used) magazine InDesign docs with no page, and no pasteboard either. I moved the original file to an archive disk and tried re-linking to this when it showed a missing link error, but it refused to do it. Then I created a folder copying exactly the original link path, and moved a copy of the file to it. This removed the link missing triangle and printing/exportingPDF warnings.

However, if I select this link and try to Go To the link in the doc, it goes nowhere. The 12.7MB image file is not placed on any page, nor on the pasteboard, and the column showing page or PB just has an empty space against this link. If I ask to edit the original it takes me to that, and I guess I can resize it to almost nothing and resave without changing the name. But it's very annoying having a ghost link sitting there with no way to go to the placed image and delete it from the rolling magazine doc.

I've tried the usual things, checking master pages, viewing the entire pasteboard for every spread and doing Select All in case a tiny reduced version somehow got left behind and nothing works. If I do Go To, it goes nowhere so the 'link' is not selected and a backspace Delete does nothing. I don't like having a working document corrupted this way and may need to create a new publication and start over pasting the standing content across to it. Any ideas of experience of this?

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Export it to IDML and open that. Should clean that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export it to IDML and open that. Should clean that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure this one has been through IDML before but no harm in trying again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks - it has indeed removed the redundant non-link. I don't tend to use any features which ID CS4 couldn't use, so nothing else should have been lost. I have certainly used this process when I have had a corrupted file in the last year or two but I had not 'repaired' the link the same way I did earlier on today to remove the warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines