• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bleed and crop marks

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am slightly when setting up my pdf for print. I need no explanation of what a bleed and crop mark do in a PDF but for some reason my crop marks seem to sit inside the image, acting as a bleed mark and then when I go to slect bleed marks they act as crop marks sitting on the outside of my bleed! It's so confusing and have no idea why my file is acting in this way! Please see attached images to help explain...

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 12.28.17.pngScreenshot 2020-11-19 at 12.28.42.pngScreenshot 2020-11-19 at 12.29.00.png

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have Crop Marks, not Bleed Marks checked. The Offset and Bleed amounts are both set to 3mm so the crop marks in the PDF are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Rob. What should the offset be set to? Attached Is with the bleed marks selected and the offset 0.083, but still my bleed marks don't seem to sit inside, even though I see on my indesign file all my content is drawn up to the bleed mark line.Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 14.32.27.pngScreenshot 2020-11-19 at 14.32.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I put the crop mark offset to the document's bleed amount.

image.png

The PDF:

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not seeing the problem. The Offset amount offsets the crop marks not the bleed marks. The crop marks line up with the trim and need to be offset in case the trimming is not accurate. The bleed marks line up with the bleed and will get trimmed off along with the bleed content. If I include both crop and bleed marks:

Screen Shot 19.png

The green line indicates the trim line, so if the trim is reasonably accurate, both the crop and bleed marks will be removed.

Screen Shot 20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm not understanding is that unlinke yours, where the bleed mark overlaps your work, my bleed mark seems to sit on the outside of the design. When it should sit where the blue marks in the image below are...Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 15.48.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be confusing the terms. The blue marks in your capture would be crop marks, the outside black marks are bleed marks and are in the correct position. In my capture the bleed marks are in the same outside position, and the crop marks are offset and lined up with the trim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @emmac76594258,
the question is, why do you want the marks there?
From a production standpoint your inital settings and resulting PDF is absolut correct.

If you put the crop marks (not bleed marks!) at the edge of your final format I guarantee you litte bits and pieces of them will show in the final product (if not handled by the printer) due to tolerances during cutting!
And with your design they will even show ugly white borders.

What rob shows, the crop marks inside the bleed, is actually targeted by the offset setting. So you COULD position your crop marks where you want them by setting the offset to 0. But again, DON'T do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines