Highlighted

Blobbing Bug with Strokes in Exported InDesign PDFs

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

Ever since I have updated to the new Adobe Suite, I have noticed a concerning bug with any PDFs exported from InDesign.  When I view the PDF in Acrobat on my end, everything looks fine, but when a client receives and views it from their end, any stroke effect they see become super blobs. 

In order to help them see the file correctly, I have had to constantly do extra work by flattening the pages in Photoshop and resaving the proof. 

(See attached images below for reference and comparison)

Please advise as to what can be done to fix this issue.

I look forward to your feedback.  Thank you.

PDF viewed on client's endPDF viewed on client's end

PDF viewed on my endPDF viewed on my end

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

Try exporting a flattened sRGB PDF—set the Compatability to Acrobat 4 and the Destination to sRGB. If you want to simulate CMYK check Simulate Overprint. Your clients would have to be viewing with at least Acrobat Reader to evaluate a press ready PDF with live transparency.

Screen Shot 27.png

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Blobbing Bug with Strokes in Exported InDesign PDFs

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

Ever since I have updated to the new Adobe Suite, I have noticed a concerning bug with any PDFs exported from InDesign.  When I view the PDF in Acrobat on my end, everything looks fine, but when a client receives and views it from their end, any stroke effect they see become super blobs. 

In order to help them see the file correctly, I have had to constantly do extra work by flattening the pages in Photoshop and resaving the proof. 

(See attached images below for reference and comparison)

Please advise as to what can be done to fix this issue.

I look forward to your feedback.  Thank you.

PDF viewed on client's endPDF viewed on client's end

PDF viewed on my endPDF viewed on my end

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

Try exporting a flattened sRGB PDF—set the Compatability to Acrobat 4 and the Destination to sRGB. If you want to simulate CMYK check Simulate Overprint. Your clients would have to be viewing with at least Acrobat Reader to evaluate a press ready PDF with live transparency.

Screen Shot 27.png

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"PDF viewed on client's end"

In what viewer?

"any stroke effect"

Can you describe exactly what that is? Exactly how those effects are constructed and the PDF export settings to which you subsequently subject them would have to be known to competently troubleshoot this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a normal stroke set on outlined text with a shadow in the background.  All my export settings are always set "Press Quality" with the exception of offsetting the crop marks as needed for printing multiple copies on large sheets.

I found that most of my clients are using whatever viewer is available on their iPhones and Androids.  Another client had been using XODO Viewer on the computer and had the same rendering problem.  (I reccommended them to the free Adobe Reader of course.) 

After viewing your answer and reflecting on this some more, I now feel like this must be a bug connected to all those 3rd party PDF viewers.  Ever since Adobe had updated everything, I doubt any of those 3rd party companies jumped to it.

If there is anything else you have to add to this or can reccommend, I appreciated it. 

Thank you for your help today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 27.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1