I am having a lot of crashes using 15.0.1 with book files for probably several different reasons. (It started with 15.0) It started happening when exporting to a pdf. Then any time I had the .indb open it would crash. I was working with two separate books. I can work on individual files. In one case, I was able to narrow it down to tables in one of the chapter files. I had 3 tables in a chapter file. I recreated two of them successully, but the third one is still crashing it. In the other book I can tell which chapter is the problem, but have not narrowed down why.
It seema to me that this update has really caused a lot of crashing for various reasons. Really wrecking havoc with my deadlines! Book files crashing InDesign 15.0.1
It's hard to know without seeing your files, but here's a starting point:
I'm also having problems with crashing when esporting to PDF. Half of the book files will export individually with no problem, while the other half cras inDesign immediately when I try to export. And trying to export the whole book to PDF results in an immediate crash. I tried saving files as IDML but that didn't resolve the issue.
Also working on a second book project, the book and files export to PDF with no problem.
Thanks for any solution suggestions.
Regarding the book, I assume you are referring to an InDesign Book file with multiple chapters since you mention multiple files.
Continue the export process--take the half that crashed and divide that in half again (quarters) and see which one crashes. (Hopefully, it will just be one section.) Continue dividing the problem section in half until you come to the file causing the problem.
Then, do the same thing with the problem file--export it in halves. Eventually, you will get to a page or two that are causing the problem. I had this happen with a 400+ page book and it turn out to be a single corupt graphic.
(BTW, this is known as the binary method of trouble-shooting.)
Yes, an inDesign Book file with 10 chapters plus a Front Matter, Endnote and Index document for a total of 13 files. I've tried exporting each file individually. Chapters 8,9,10, Front Matter, Endnotes and Index all export with no problem. Chapters 1-7 each crash the program. So it appears that I have 7 problem files. Any suggestions for how to identify the problem with those?
Have you tried the 15.1 update (not to be confused with the 15.0.1 version).
When you say "crash the progam"--that's during export, correct? If during opening, you probably have to use an older version.
If that doesn't not work, I would save your files as IDML again and re-install 2019 version (ID version 14.x). See if you have the same problem. (I know you tried the IDML but I don't know if you used the older version.)
If during export, you can watch the Background Tasks panel and see where the problem is happening. I haven't tried it recently, but you can (could?) turn off the background tasks; here are instruction:
Yes. The program crashes during export. In the File menu I click Export.
The next dialogue box prompts me to Save as an Adobe PDF (Print) file. When
I click that Save I get the Adobe PDF Export box with a number of options
as per the attached screen shot. When I click the Export button, the
InDesign program immediately crashes. I then need to reopen the program, or
there is sometimes a new dialogue box that pops up inviting me to share
crash information with DAdobe and reopen InDesign.
[Moderator delited the personal information]
Try the other options mentioned when you get a chance.
I attempted to narrow down the problem pages in my Ch 1 file. I reduced the
number of pages, saved the reduced file and then exported it. Pages 11-22
save and export with no problem. Pages 1-10 or any smaller combination of
those appear to crash the program. Any suggestion for getting closer to the
particular issue? Many thanks.
[Moderator delited the personal information]
I am running the 2020 CC InDesign 15.1 version of the sortware. I did try to save a file as IDML and opened it in Indesign 2019 but the export also crashed.
A couple of ideas...
First, work on a copy of the file.
Try moving the graphics to a non-printing layer. See what happens. If the file exports, then add the graphics back to a printing layer one at a time.
Check the problem pages for an unusual font. It might be a font-embedding problem. Change everything to a single known font, such as Minion Pro or Myriad Pro.
If those fail, copy the text to a new document. (Test the export again.) Recreate the pages/document. Test after each group of graphics.
Several months ago, we had problems with an InDesign book that would crash when exporting to PDF. We discovered that some of the links between documents were pointing to InDesign files that were not part of the current Book. Once we cleaned up those links, we were able to export to PDF sucessfully. Although this may not be the issue with your files (@kbtp), perhaps someone else may find this solution helpful.
Your response illustrates the strength of the community forums. Someone will benefit from your post, even if the OP does not. Thanks for sharing, Default.