• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book layout: Introduction, Preface, Contents (TOC): Title them or not?

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for advice from book designers.

I've been in the process of designing an Atlas and I'm looking for advice. When I first laid this out I had titled the Introduction, Preface, Contents, used greek text FPO, (For Position Only), to keep track of what was to be written and where it belongs until I recieved the actual text. Now that I have the text, is it necessary to title them as "Introduction" and "Preface"? My instinct tells me to remove them. 

Thank you in advance.  

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't quite understand your question, but I'd put the ToC before the Preface and Introduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is would you Title your Introduction as "Indroduction"? Would you title your Preface as "Preface"? Or would you just go right into the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also guessing at what you are asking.  Do you just want to remove the titles "Introduction" and "Preface" from the top of each section? That's your call. I would say in most cases we keep them because they help the reader know exactly where they are in the publication.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Barb, that's what I'm asking. I'm not a book desinger by trade. Just wondering what the consensis might be on this... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I would leave the titles in. Same with the table of contents. All of us will recognize a table of contents at a glance, but standards have us display the title "Contents" or "Table of Contents" at the top. All the those heads should appear in the running head as well. I see at it as courtesy—it lets readers know exactly where they are in a publication. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definately put the headings in. The normal order of prelims (in a printed book) is Half title page; blank; Title page; Imprint page; Dedication; ToC; Foreword /Preface; Introduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, 

I hope your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please let us know so that we can assist you further. 

Else please confirm if any of the suggestions above helped. 

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines