Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bright LAB colors in InDesign 5 losing brightness and turning darker

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using InDesign 5 with Windows 10.

I like bright LAB colors sitting on top of dark graphics.  I can't get these in CMYK, so am using LAB.

Some of the brights have reverted to much darker shades!  Yet when I check them in the Color palette, the bright neon shows. 

The other mystery is that this happens on certain pages in a document, not throughout the entire document.  I'm having this trouble in a couple of documents, not just one.

Is this a bug?

Does anyone know how I can make bright LAB colors bright again throughout an entire document?  Thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

What is your document blend space?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Wow, I didn't know what >Transparency< blend space was, found it in the Edit menu, and all the brights came back when I changed Trans CMYK to Trans RGB!

I can't say that I know what a blend space IS, but as long as it works, life is good. 

In response to SJ Riegel's reply, these docs are personal reference tools and I need some callouts to really jump out at the eye.  I will make a note of this because it will probably come up again.

Thanks very much for both answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the poorly named Community Help forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies!  I could not find the InDesign forum like I've been able to in the past.

I come to the forums infrequently, and it seems like the web site format changes every time I come back.  And now I don't know where to go, other than to stay right here and answer the two replies that came in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your document blend space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I didn't know what >Transparency< blend space was, found it in the Edit menu, and all the brights came back when I changed Trans CMYK to Trans RGB!

I can't say that I know what a blend space IS, but as long as it works, life is good. 

In response to SJ Riegel's reply, these docs are personal reference tools and I need some callouts to really jump out at the eye.  I will make a note of this because it will probably come up again.

Thanks very much for both answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign lets you mix color spaces on the same page—you could have page items with CMYK, RGB, or Lab color fills. If the page includes any transparency, it will need to be flattened into a single color space for print output, or possibly an export. If you choose CMYK the preview of Lab or RGB colors will be brought into the document’s CMYK gamut.

Turning on Overprint Preview might also preview your lab colors as CMYK depending on whether they are spec’d as Spot or Process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for all of the information.  You folks are mutually awesome!  Glad to have all my bright colors back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this file be printed, or only distributed electroncally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines