Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BUG with text frames, master pages and "allow pages to shuffle"

Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Latest Indesign CC on Windows 10 64bits.

I have a document, with a master page template applied to all pages in the document. There are master text frames inside the master page template, perfectly aligned with the margins on each left, and right page. In my master page template, I have set up the following margins for left pages :

top : 46pt
bottom : 46pt
outside : 56pt
inside : 46pt

And the right pages margins set up as follow :

outside : 46pt

On the left pages, I have a solid holding the current category / section, so I have set a larger outside margin.

Everything looks good and aligned (text boxes are controled by master pages master text frames) until I delete one page for example, which makes every following right page, a left page, and every left page, a right page.

From this point, in my pages, all text boxes are misaligned to the margins set in the master page template. That is to say that from now on, left pages have text boxes which are the size of right pages text boxes, and right pages text boxes have the size of left pages text boxes.

To fix it, I have to select all my pages, and reapply my master page template to update the text boxes to match the master page's master text frames.

Then, the text frames are finally properly aligned to the margins set in the master page template.

I might be doing something wrong (please let me know if this is the case) but I can't figure out an auto fix, and this gets really annoying when you have to fine tune your document, remove some elements, which can makes me delete some pages, which causes this issue.

If I'm not clear enough, let me know 🙂

Any fix ? What about a option to make indesign aware when right pages become left pages, and left pages become right pages, and reapply automatically the master page template to adapt to those changes ?

Am I alone with this issue ?

Thank you

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Hi,

I always assumed that the 'outside' value was the same on both page sides, on the left for the left page (and right for right). I think your design could be more stable if:

- you had the same margins and text frames on both sides, but a invisible shape on one side with Text Wrap would act as your colour block to push the text back inside only where needed.

- If needed, I would duplicate the Master, one per colour needed in the outside margin.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I always assumed that the 'outside' value was the same on both page sides, on the left for the left page (and right for right). I think your design could be more stable if:

- you had the same margins and text frames on both sides, but a invisible shape on one side with Text Wrap would act as your colour block to push the text back inside only where needed.

- If needed, I would duplicate the Master, one per colour needed in the outside margin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it is a very clever workaround ! I will definitely consider this and hope for Adobe to fix this annoying issue !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi licral83685769,

so you are working with a facing-pages document and one master spread with two pages, one left and one right to the spine?

Did you enable the option Primary Text Frame when creating the document?

Are you flowing one single story of text through all your pages using the Primary Text Frame of the master?

If so, everything should work as expected.

In a case like that, removing a single page or adding an odd number of pages should have no negative effect on the position of the threaded text frames in the document.

For any other case we need a sample document with your setup to see into the issue and suggest fixes.

Best upload that sample to a Dropbox account or a similar service and post the link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello thank you for your help, here is the file : https://fromsmash.com/b1eLzuEgXY-ct

If you try to delete the 5th page, you will see the text boxes not resizing correctly and not respecting the master text frames sizes !

Here is a screenshot of what is happening :

Before 5th page is deleted (all text boxes properly aligned after 5th page) :

before-delete.JPG

After 5th page is deleted (all pages after 5th are misaligned and do not respect master frames set in master page template)

after-delete.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi licral83685769,

as far as I can see you can fix the issue after you removed page 5:

Assign master "I-3" again to pages 5 to 9.

Hm. Don't think you are doing something wrong.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that is what I'm doing but it is actually a 300 pages document with many different master pages templates applied and it is a hassle to reapply master pages to bugged pages...

I submitted a bug report on https://indesign.uservoice.com/ because I don't think this is how it should behave. Master text frames should always be synchronized to the master page templates and should not have to be reapplied manually...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my observation:

File > Document Set-up shows the Outside Margin at 46 pt, but the masters all show it as empty (mixed setting). Try manually changing the Outside Margin on A-Bas de Page to 46 and try again.

~Barb 

x_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! This actually fixes the issue on this document which is a very good start !

However, while troubleshooting, I created another document, same idea, I have set up the following margins for left pages :

Only one master page, master text frames in the master page template, no page number master page. If you delete the 3rd page, all following pages will get there text boxes misaligned and not respecting the master page template (A)

I cannot apply your fix on this document (bug-v2.idml) which can be downloaded here : https://fromsmash.com/~mVgjHcV.C-ct

No mixed settings so I don't see what is causing the issue here

Hope you can figure out a fix too because I can't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! This actually fixes the issue on this document which is a very good start !

However, while troubleshooting, I created another document, same idea, I have set up the following margins for left pages :

Only one master page, master text frames in the master page template, no page number master page. If you delete the 3rd page, all following pages will get there text boxes misaligned and not respecting the master page template (A)

I cannot apply your fix on this document (bug-v2.idml) which can be downloaded here : https://fromsmash.com/~mVgjHcV.C-ct

No mixed settings so I don't see what is causing the issue here

Hope you can figure out a fix too because I can't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After all the test I have done, I'm thinking this is how indesign behave, it just doesn't update text boxes when pages are shuffling after page deletion. This should be fixed because master text frames are there to save time and automate things ! Having to manually reapply the master page template to correct the text boxes misalignement is the opposite of saving time !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the second file that you provided, the frames are already misaligned on pages 4-7. First reassign the A master to those four pages to straighten that out.

Then you have the exact same issue with an empty outside margin when you navigate to the master pages. Add 46 again and it all works as expected.

~Barb

y_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, the file I gave you had misaligned text boxes from the start, which was not suppoed to be like this! This is the correct file : https://fromsmash.com/DmBnsMdiF0-ct

I don't want to change the outside margin, and make them even for the right and left pages.

I really want them to be 56pt for the left page, and 46pt for the right page, and keep the text boxes to automatically update and stay aligned with the master text frames from A master page template even after deleting pages, which I can't... 😕

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want different inside/outside margins on the left/right pages, then you will need to reapply the masters after an update. I don't know that I've ever seen a publication with intentionally different inside/outside margins on the left/right pages, and don't know that it would be worth the hassle. I always encourage my students to design their publications using the application's strengths while actively avoiding their weaknesses.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your tip, I will keep in mind to avoid this practice of uneven right and left margins and apply Eric_Dumas idea which advised to create the category / section solid on the left page with a text wrap to push the text box to the right, while allowing to have even margins on left and right pages and keep indesign happy!

An update from Adobe giving a check box in the settings to auto update text boxes from master text frames after deleting / shuffling pages would be good though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines