• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buggy InDesign 2021

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working out of town for a couple of weeks and returned to my home computer to begin the final round of edits on a 200-page document months in the making (final version due Thursday). I updated my version of InDesign to the latest (and not-so-greatest) version last night. From the simplest of tasks — like resizing a text box, to "attempting" to move a page within the Pages Panel — InDesign has crashed AT LEAST 20 times this afternoon, making it IMPOSSILBE to get any work done. I have sent repeated crash reports, tried closing down my computer (and all of my open programs—further delaying my productivity) and can't get anywhere. PLEASE get this remedied Adobe—or get a new set of software engineers!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Recommendation: Never upgrade any software (operating system or program) while you're in the middle of a major project. Wait until there's a lull in your production schedule  (ha ha ha!).

Suggestion: Roll back to 2020 or 2019.

1. From your latest version of the file, File / Save As / IDML (not INDD). This InDesign Markup Language version can be opened in earlier versions of InDesign.
  2. Launch 2020 (or 2019) and open the IDML version.

If the new 2021 installation wiped out your earlier 2020 or 2019, you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommendation: Never upgrade any software (operating system or program) while you're in the middle of a major project. Wait until there's a lull in your production schedule  (ha ha ha!).

Suggestion: Roll back to 2020 or 2019.

1. From your latest version of the file, File / Save As / IDML (not INDD). This InDesign Markup Language version can be opened in earlier versions of InDesign.
  2. Launch 2020 (or 2019) and open the IDML version.

If the new 2021 installation wiped out your earlier 2020 or 2019, you'll have to reinstall them via the Creative Cloud manager application. Look under "Other Versions" in the InDesign options and they should be available.  And while you're there, see if you can uncheck the dumb default option of always removing older versions when installing a new version.

Design + Accessibility | Author | Designer | Programmer | Trainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is EXACTLY what I did! No issues with InDesign 2020. I was able to send off the latest revision and avoid a heart attack (or turning to copious amounts of alcohol).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great!

Design + Accessibility | Author | Designer | Programmer | Trainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines