• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bullet list using Split 2 not honored when a graphic frame with text wrap is placed next to the list

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

Apologies for the Subject description, I tried to come up with something more concise 😕

I have a document with a 1-column text frame, full width between right and left page margins. There is a bullet list of 10 items, each item has Bullet1 paragraph style applied. Each paragraph is only 1-3 words long, so I applied "Split 2" from the paragraph options, worked as expected.

Now comes the challenge: the editor wished to have a related graphic placed to the right of the bullets. When I place the image and apply text wrap, the 2nd "column" of bullets disappears, essentially back to 1 column of bullets next to the image, and then 2 columns of bullets return after the bottom of the image! See attachments for "no image" bullet behavior and "with image" bullet behavior.

Will I need to 'interrupt' the full-page text frame, thread a narrower text frame for the bullets next to the image, and then thread that custom frame to the next frame to accomplish the desired layout? I would anchor the graphic to the "custom" text frame so it moves accordingly.

I tried some of the new context-aware wrap options and with a couple otpions the Span 2 bullets did appear--perhaps I can create a custom shape mask for the image to accomplish the task... 🤔

Hope this makes sense! Thanks for insights and suggestions 🙂

Scott

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

You may want to try setting the left-side margin of your image's text wrap from whatever value it has to a negative number until it allows your second column of the "Split 2" list to appear on the same page as the first and your placed graphic.

You don't necessarily need to set a custom text wrap to do that unless you have something else that has to be pushed aside from the graphic. In the screen cap you provided, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Hi Scott,

here a screenshot to illustrate my idea.

From my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10.

The bulleted lists in the two upper text frames are using "Split 2". The one below "Split 4".

TextWrap-and-SplitColumnsTo-2-or-4-TextWrap.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try setting the left-side margin of your image's text wrap from whatever value it has to a negative number until it allows your second column of the "Split 2" list to appear on the same page as the first and your placed graphic.

You don't necessarily need to set a custom text wrap to do that unless you have something else that has to be pushed aside from the graphic. In the screen cap you provided, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just following up: did this solution work for you?

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

maybe there is a workaround for this issue.

Instead of "Span 2" use "Span 3" or "Span 4" on the bulleted paragraphs.

This is not very flexible, but could help.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Scott,

here a screenshot to illustrate my idea.

From my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10.

The bulleted lists in the two upper text frames are using "Split 2". The one below "Split 4".

TextWrap-and-SplitColumnsTo-2-or-4-TextWrap.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines