Highlighted

Buttons Checking for multiple selections to trigger what is shown.

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! Educator here hoping for some help.

I am creating instructional content for parents with kids at home during COVID and using Buttons to show/hide material so it isn't overwhelming (they pick activities based on age).

Is there a way to make a button that checks other interactions to determine it's action? There are 3 age groups, I want the parent to check which ages they need then when they click submit it will show/hide based on which options were checked. Currently it is made as an interactive PDF but I am aiming to take it to EPUB soon.

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 11.58.45 AM.png

I know this is a bit of a corner case for my own needs b ut any help would really be appreciated and elevate the reosurces I am making. 

TOPICS
EPUB, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Buttons Checking for multiple selections to trigger what is shown.

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! Educator here hoping for some help.

I am creating instructional content for parents with kids at home during COVID and using Buttons to show/hide material so it isn't overwhelming (they pick activities based on age).

Is there a way to make a button that checks other interactions to determine it's action? There are 3 age groups, I want the parent to check which ages they need then when they click submit it will show/hide based on which options were checked. Currently it is made as an interactive PDF but I am aiming to take it to EPUB soon.

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 11.58.45 AM.png

I know this is a bit of a corner case for my own needs b ut any help would really be appreciated and elevate the reosurces I am making. 

TOPICS
EPUB, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of using Interactive PDF (which has issues, particularly on mobile devices such as tablets and smart phones), use FXL ePub, or InDesign’s Publish Online. Alternatively, have a look at in5, an InDesign plug-in (at extra cost): https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 2
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use buttons to show & hide layers in the PDF, each layer can have its own set of interactive buttons. The user would need to use Acrobat or Reader on a desktop for the buttons to work properly. Alternately, you could make a different page (or set of pages) for each skill level and use buttons to go to a page.

Here is a link to a sample PDF with basic instructions on page 2 and the InDesign file attached to the PDF. You will need to download the PDF (three dots on the right side in the DropBox window).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxb8t96bdo243qs/PDF_Buttons.pdf?dl=0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 1
Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend using Object States to swap your buttons. That can make it so that different actions are available (even if the user is unaware). However, Object States won't work in PDF, so EPUB or HTML with in5 would be recommended (note that I'm the creator of in5).

This technique is also available with in5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ooz3FjtXo8

New features to help you build e-learning projects with InDesign. in5 v.3.3 supports custom radio buttons and checkboxes, as well the submit form, clear form...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 2
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow educator, i create elearning training materials also.

The answer is yes, because you would pre-record that logic in your show and hide buttons.  However, it will not work in mobile devices. Are you ok with that? Do you know how to set up show and hide buttons?

Example below, you can set up buttons to turn on not only other items with the same color, but you can also have them turn off other items that are displaying in other colors. By doing so you create the pre-recorded logic.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.51.42 PM.png

hope this helps.

thanks

jonathan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0