Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buttons not working - Limit of Hyperlink destinations

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am facing a problem with my interactive pdf. I have created a soccer ebook, with about 120 pages. From page 25 onwards each page has 4 buttons that lead to other pages. I have used the Action "Go To Destination". The hyperlink destinations are pages within the same document. Everything works fine until I am creating the 65th Hyperlink destination. Then all of a sudden after the export some of the buttons won't work. For the past 5 hours I have tested a lot of scenarios and done my best to isolate the problem so I am pretty confident that the sheer number of destinations causes this problem. If I delete the 65th+ destinations, all buttons work fine after the export. It drives me crazy as I need to finish this project, so I have no idea how else to work if I cannot use the hyperlink destinations for all.

Any ideas on how this can be avoided?

I have attached a PDF example so you can get an idea of how it usually works. As soon as I add more than 64 pages as hyperlink destinations the whole thing goes south. Interestingly it is always Button "Variation 1" and "Variation 2" that won't work with more than 65.

Thanky you and best regards,
Fabian

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Before asnwering your email (earlier) I tested your sample on my iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro, as mentioned, it didn't work on the mobile devices but did on the Mac. This is my standard reply to these Interactive PDF questions (which I've checked with others):

You can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website.
Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That kind of PDF interativity won't work on mobile devices, such as iPads and iPhones.

Have a look at in5 which is HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Derek, thanks for your response.
For now I would be happy to just have it work properly on desktop (windows) with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Which it does until I create a 65th page as a hyperlink destination. It works really well up until that point. 
For apple mobile devices I am planning to use the epub format as it works great in ibooks.

Any ideas for a work around to make buttons work in interactive pdf format?

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or could you think of any other way to make buttons go to certain pages without relying on hyperlink destinations?
Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before asnwering your email (earlier) I tested your sample on my iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro, as mentioned, it didn't work on the mobile devices but did on the Mac. This is my standard reply to these Interactive PDF questions (which I've checked with others):

You can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website.
Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons  like On Click, On Roll Over, etc.  Multi-state object (MSO) don’t work at all in an Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines