Highlighted

Buying a LaserJet - is Adobe PostScript still a thing?

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old Lexmark CS510 is on its last legs. Mainly selected as it had native PostScript 3 support so I could run out directly from Photoshop / Indesign / AI from my MacBook Pro.

Is this still a thing or has CC passed through that need?

Seen a HP (479dw) that has their own support "PCL 6 (V3)" - whilst a Canon (LBP663Cdw) has explicit support "PCL6, Adobe® PostScript".

Thanks in advance for any input / experience.

There are only two types of printers that can fully and properly render content, especially in terms of color accuracy, from professional publishing software such as the Adobe Creative Cloud applications as well as Adobe Acrobat / Reader. These would be printers that directly support PDF files or PostScript Language Level 3.

PCL of any type is effectively useless!

I will also add that for both InDesign and Illustrator, you are generally much better off exporting/saving PDF/X-4 and printing from either Acrobat or at worst, Reader (but definitely not Apple Preview). Yes, it literally takes an extra minute at most, but the results are much more reliable, especially if you don't have a PostScript or direct PDF printer.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Buying a LaserJet - is Adobe PostScript still a thing?

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old Lexmark CS510 is on its last legs. Mainly selected as it had native PostScript 3 support so I could run out directly from Photoshop / Indesign / AI from my MacBook Pro.

Is this still a thing or has CC passed through that need?

Seen a HP (479dw) that has their own support "PCL 6 (V3)" - whilst a Canon (LBP663Cdw) has explicit support "PCL6, Adobe® PostScript".

Thanks in advance for any input / experience.

There are only two types of printers that can fully and properly render content, especially in terms of color accuracy, from professional publishing software such as the Adobe Creative Cloud applications as well as Adobe Acrobat / Reader. These would be printers that directly support PDF files or PostScript Language Level 3.

I will also add that for both InDesign and Illustrator, you are generally much better off exporting/saving PDF/X-4 and printing from either Acrobat or at worst, Reader (but definitely not Apple Preview). Yes, it literally takes an extra minute at most, but the results are much more reliable, especially if you don't have a PostScript or direct PDF printer.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add - this is me running from the app not creating a PDF and running that (I might sometimes but this is just for noting / proofing runouts from the screen / within the app).

ta.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 1