• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(C) automatically becomes copyright symbol

Engaged ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The (c) in a numbered list automatically becomes a copyright symbol.

The font i am using is albertan pro.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

What happens if you turn off ligatures within that style? I just tested it, and that is definitely the behavior of the ligature (conjoined characters) switch. Ligatures ON makes the copyright symbol; off returns it to the three characters (c).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at your InDesign Autocorrect preferences, something could be set there to make it change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely a custom auto correct issue.

Easy solution for this is select that part of the text and assign it a new dictionary. Ie if its English: USA try pointing it to English: UK just for (c).

This should work because custom auto corrects are only based on the dictionary its created for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also forgot to add. All of this could be avoided with using Bullets and numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

I am using bullets and numbering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't select the text as it is a list in bullets and numbering.

Do you think it is to so with the font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Summayah5FC7:

Actually, I'm not so sure it in in the InDesign Preferences > Autocorrect table. You can't add parentheses to the table in InDesign.

Are you on a Mac? Check Apple menu > System Prefs > Keyboard > Text. Is it in that list?

Windows 10 has a similar feature, see https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/enable-autocorrect-everywhere-windows/#:~:text=To%20enable%20it%2C%20o....

And when you have some time, check out this post, which explains how to create automatic nested lists, which will both address this issue and give you hours back in your day-to-day work: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-basic-nested-lists/.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I am on a mac but it isn't in the list.

I am using nested lists. All level 1, 2 and 3 lists have the same indentation as it is intentional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you turn off ligatures within that style? I just tested it, and that is definitely the behavior of the ligature (conjoined characters) switch. Ligatures ON makes the copyright symbol; off returns it to the three characters (c).

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that worked.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that . It does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here, turning off Ligatures does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines