Highlighted

Can document size be extended past 216 inches?

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just started getting more into banner and sign printing.  I have since learned that InDesign has a max size limit of 216 inches.  I prefer Indesign over Illustrator but I tried with that also and that gives me a limit of 227 inches.  I need to go bigger than this and it will probably be a regular problem.  Is there a way to trick ID or AI to go larger?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant

Scale it down. If you need 800 inches set the document up as 200 and

make sure any graphics have 4x the resolution.

Bob

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can document size be extended past 216 inches?

Participant ,
Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just started getting more into banner and sign printing.  I have since learned that InDesign has a max size limit of 216 inches.  I prefer Indesign over Illustrator but I tried with that also and that gives me a limit of 227 inches.  I need to go bigger than this and it will probably be a regular problem.  Is there a way to trick ID or AI to go larger?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant

Bob

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having done artwork for many banners over the years, the usual way of working is to do them at 25% or 50% of the actual size, not 100%. Sign and banner printers here in the UK are well used to receiving artwork at a quarter or half size. Try to keep to 25% or 50%, or even 10%. It's easier to do the calculations then when printing them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense, dont know why I didnt think of that myself.  I personally hate scaling stuff, I prefer making everything the size it has to be so I dont have to worry about math and ratios :-P.  This should be ok to get by with though when this problem comes up

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If not wanting to use Scale except for the largest of large, use CorelDraw with its limitations of 150 feet by 150 feet.

Having used CD for such work since the early 1990s--I still use scale. Depending upon the average viewing distance, any bitmaps or bitmap effects may not need to be some arbitrary 300 dpi. Might be more, might be less.

If anyone wants a spreadsheet I wrote that uses a common formula for scaling the page and images/bitmap effects for large format printing, I can upload it.

Take care, Mike

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share your spreadsheet?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Bob Levine This does not work if you are required to send to the service bureau or printer a file at 100% scale. There is also not an option in Illustrator to save/export the document at a larger scale. Nor is there any way to scale a .pdf in Acrobat to a larger size (unless I am mistaken). Very frustrating as I have a 260" banner to create with vector art that I will have to rasterize in Photoshop and downsample due to file size - resulting in a loss of quality.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the service bureau cannot take a half-size PDF and scale it up on output they shouldn't be in the banner business and you should run as fast as you can and find someone who knows how to print banners.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Peter says, either you misunderstood the requirements or that printer is incompetent. Pick up the phone and confirm.

If they confirm the need for 100% run like the wind to another printer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines