Highlighted

Can I create a sticky note in Indesign that will transfer to my pdf?

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often create indesign documents that need to have sticky notes added to the pdf to alert the writer to questions about what's in the text. The pdf goes through 3 people before it gets to the person who needs to see the sticky note.

Quite often it will come back to me from one of those 3 people to make a change or correction before it gets to the final person. So each time I make a change I make a new pdf and then have to put the sticky note back on again.

Is there a way to avoid having to do this?

I have been told I can use note tool in Indesign, open the indesign document in Incopy and make a pdf from there ticking the 'include notes as annotation' box. This works well except (1) It is another step, which I was hoping to avoid and (2) most of the hyperlinks in the document don't work after this step.

Does anyone know of any other ways I can transfer sticky notes or comments into a pdf?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

The only way I can think of is to change your workflow.

After the edits, export to a new PDF, then navigate to Acrobat, open the original PDF with the sticky notes and replace the pages in the original PDF with the pages from the new PDF. This will replace the content on a layer below the sticky notes, but the notes will still be there. If there were major edits, they may need to be adjusted, but they will still be there. 

~Barb 

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can I create a sticky note in Indesign that will transfer to my pdf?

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often create indesign documents that need to have sticky notes added to the pdf to alert the writer to questions about what's in the text. The pdf goes through 3 people before it gets to the person who needs to see the sticky note.

Quite often it will come back to me from one of those 3 people to make a change or correction before it gets to the final person. So each time I make a change I make a new pdf and then have to put the sticky note back on again.

Is there a way to avoid having to do this?

I have been told I can use note tool in Indesign, open the indesign document in Incopy and make a pdf from there ticking the 'include notes as annotation' box. This works well except (1) It is another step, which I was hoping to avoid and (2) most of the hyperlinks in the document don't work after this step.

Does anyone know of any other ways I can transfer sticky notes or comments into a pdf?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

After the edits, export to a new PDF, then navigate to Acrobat, open the original PDF with the sticky notes and replace the pages in the original PDF with the pages from the new PDF. This will replace the content on a layer below the sticky notes, but the notes will still be there. If there were major edits, they may need to be adjusted, but they will still be there. 

~Barb 

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I have done this in the past and it works quite well when there are a lot of sticky notes. I was hoping to eliminate this step also. Maybe one day Indesign will have the capability to export to pdf and keep notes, like Incopy copy does.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2020 1
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lkretschmar,

best read into this:

Make PDF Sticky Notes in your InDesign Document
Kelly Vaughn October 4, 2012

https://indesignsecrets.com/make-pdf-sticky-notes-in-your-indesign-document.php

Maybe something suggested there is working for you?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that situations I always like to ask one question: What religion stop your writer to use it InCopy? 

Is this Scrooge McDuck Religion stops writer to pay 5$ in month? Okay, pay for it yourself this $5 and give access to the writer. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 1
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about a layer for text notes that is set to not "Print Layer"? That is an old technique that used to be practiced by some.

I agree that the InCopy trick of exporting notes as comments would be very practical here. Even the new Share for Review seems to be yet another slightly-not-interconnected workflow idea.

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2020 0