• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I find out which graphic files (links) in a directory are unused?

Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have collected all graphics files for a project in a single directory, so that the whole project becomes easily movable and easily works on IDML import/export. But over time, that directoy has grown to 620 images, whereas only 450 or so are actually used.

I'd like to prune this and I'm looking for an efficient way to do that. Is there? Some sort of export of the ID file that would allow me to grep the image file names in some way?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

You could simply package the InDesign file (via File -> Package) to another location (and then moving it back).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could simply package the InDesign file (via File -> Package) to another location (and then moving it back).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it. Thank you.

Without moving it back, just packaging gives me a way to find out which ones are superfluous (which is what I'm after). Just removing them once is not enough, the images are automatically produced elsewhere (then referenced in the document as needed). Packaging gives me the possibility to find a clean list (ls -1) and prune the actual image production process accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you actually just need a list of linked assets?

Then a little script would be a better solution (happy to write it down if that's indeed what you need).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed. What I need is a list of linked assets. I can use that as input for a shell script that purges them and marks them as unused for the production process so they won't be used another time. But don't spend a lot of time for it, it is OK if I do a check very rarely. The extra images do not really bother my process (that cross reference corruption in the file that sometimes crashes ID bugs/worries me far more now that I am busy with the final stages of release...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines