• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make a line-tool line 'style' (InDesign)

Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 10.23.49.pngI am using three different line types, created using InDesign line tool.

This simplified music stave is used over and over (for different tunes).

The stave, and its lines, are not a single size.  ALL line lengths vary (depending on the tune length!).

I am wanting to standardise the three line types for line point size (only), retrospectively (!), on a large number of staves.

Can I, in Indesign, set three different line tool point sizes which I can then apply simply by highlighting the lines and clicking?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are ways you can create object styles with InDesign, but if the lines are not only consistent thicknesses but also consistent lengths, you can store them in an InDesign library to drag out and apply at will.

You can find out more about how to reuse objects you create within InDesign in this link:

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randy. But there are too many! It will not be quicker than highlighting each individually. I've added a screenshot to try and explain the problem better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy, thanks, but this won't do (please see re-edited question)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever try stroke styles? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/applying-line-stroke-settings.html#define_custom_stroke_style...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Yes I have. But I can't make 'stroke' styles apply to lines made with the line tool...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure?

2019-10-04_12-31.png

 

2019-10-04_12-29.png

 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'll try again. But what happened was that although my custom lines appear on the list of options they only work on frames, not line-tool-drawn lines...?only be effective

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... stroke style DOES recall the line style (dot, dash, wavy line, diamonds etc) BUT it doesn't save the point size. Thanks for sticking with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here you go with object style -

2019-10-04_13-56.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your line is meant to be attached to text look at creating a paragrph style and adding paragraph rules. You can control the weight, colour, and style of the rule as well as its position relative to the text and its length relative to the text margins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott, Thanks for you answer. I've re-edited the question to try and explain better my problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this…

Type a series of vertical pipes and apply a paragraph style that has the following properties:

Full Justify alignment

Paragraph Rules: rule above, 3pt

Nested Styles: a light weight character style applied through 3 characters, followed by a bold weight character style applied through one character. Then repeat the last two nested styles. 

Hopefully the screenshots make this easier to follow. It's a bit of hack and you might be better off making a Pattern Brush in Illustrator if you're comfortable using Illustrator.

Screenshot 2019-10-04 at 11.51.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll give it a try. (Illustrator is not an option!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines