• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I put multiple on and off Buttons on one page?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a map image and I want to show different layers over the top. 

Ideally I would like the user to compare the layers and view different combinations together, so not as simple as showing one at a time.   The interactivitie of the show / hide buttons meant you would have to reset every time and not remember other previous selections.

I have also just tried to set up a Button consisting of map layer grouped with a word button, and then changing the show / hide status of each element (normal, rollover and click).  However all the layers have a similar size and shape, so you can only select the top one and the subsequent ones are not accessible due to the bounding box of the button overlaying them.

Any suggestions on how this can be resolved would be appreciated.

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

For publish online this would be far easier using a multi state object.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bounding areas of trigger spots are certainly a limitation to interactivity in Indesign. Is it possible to show a screen capture or share a file of what you have done so far?  You mention using "map layer grouped with a word button" so it sounds like you are separating elements so they don't overlap.

Also, what format is the endproduct: PDF, Publish Online, epub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply - the first grab is what I started with and the layers were the SPA, SSSI etc to the bottom left of the map.   Since thinking again, I've now made them horizontal and hopefully putting the first one (RAMSAR) as the bottom the other bounding boxes will redue as they move to the right so should be selectable???    But again I think it will only allow for them to turn on, cause if I add a turn off button for them all, it then needs to be the show/hide event but you have no way of knowing what the user has previously selected.

As well as the five ground types I also have a sixth interactive layer of the Deprivation Index.  That one alone I was going to try and do with an on and off button.

A.jpgB.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the map and bounding areas of elements, this will be impossible to make those shapes interactive to use show/hide actions. Separate buttons would also have to steer clear of the bounding areas of the map.

You did not mention the format of end product. This answer would help for suggesting workarounds or alternative tools to create this presentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes - sorry, will be publishing online and sharing that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For publish online this would be far easier using a multi state object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for the guidance.  I've not had much use with Multi State Objects before, so have been looking online at tutorials etc.   I'm just trying to get my head around the best way to approach this.  Ideally I would like the 6 different layers (5 land types and the Deprivation Index)  that you can turn on and off independantly, so you can see how they interact with each other.  But I dont think this will work without having a bucket load of button for all the different combinations of layers on and off.  So how I understand it, if I do a MSO with 8 layered images.

• 5 land types, 
  • 1 deprivation index
  • 1 showing all 5 land types combined
  • 1 showing all 5 land types and deprivation index

Then show eight buttons to correspond with all the different combinations!?   Is that still too complicated and there is an easier way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob has produced an online video course on Linkedin Learning on multi-state objects and InDesign (you can get 30-days free access): 

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-multistate-objects/welcome?autoplay=true&trk=course_previ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't sound that bad, but if you want to make it easier, download and install this free extension that takes a lot of the pain out of MSOs.

https://www.automatication.com/index.php?id=25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sat and watched it - a great tutorial and lots to think about.  And yes, found that the extension is still available and even better free!  So have downloaded it ready to install tomorrow.  Thanks everyone for your assistance and guidance.  Its much appreciated 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines