• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use Word tables in InDesign? Any way to import tables made with Word?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new here...  Well, the title says it all: I need to use (basically unchanged) nearly 100 tables from a book made recently with Word... Can I import them?

It wouldn't be a problem making one new one (lines, etc...) with InDesign and then fill with text, but...  why repeat 100 different tables (that's my case) already done I can use without changes...  There must be a way to at least place a Word table into an ID document...  Thanks for all kinds of comments!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Use file > place with show options and place the entire Word file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever tried it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...  After selecting the table in its original file in Word, I tried to copy it on my InDesign file: The table wasn't copied, but only the text, out of place...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use file > place with show options and place the entire Word file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that worked.  Thank you, Bob...  Now I got the table in InDesign, just like the original one, but it's bigger than the page I use in InDesign because the original book in Word was wider... So these are the new questions: Should I make each table smaller in Word before placing them in InDesign? Or can I make them smaller inside InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're going to need to to tweak in ID anyway so you might just as well do it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this looks like great news for me... So I understand ID places the Word table, and once inside ID, indeed ID sees it as a table you can vary... Is there any basic menu to vary one imported table, or is it a graphic (mouse) thing?  I really appreciate your advice, Bob...  I don't have much experience with tables in ID...  For example, how can I make the whole table smaller? Only by varying the placing of the lines one by one, or can I make it smaller in the way we make a jpg smaller?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it will require to change positions line by line...  It's a great and fast option...  It's great ID recognizes Word tables... Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You saved me hours of work thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi, if you don't have anything helpful to say why don't you just go ahead and not say anything? Of course she tried, and wasn't able to do it successfully — that's why she came here to ask for help. Troll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such comments infuriate me!

With 5,320 points on his account, I think Willi helps enough people here! ... And you!!! 

Moreover, He's absolutely right: everybody knows it's so much easier to ask a question rather than making oneself researches [InDesign documentation, Web, here on this forum).

As Gaston could say: "Yes, we can! M'enfin!" 

Capture d’écran 2016-06-02 à 11.59.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, if a question doen't give any detailed Information what she tried or not and did not describe her Problem, I have to assume that she did not give any serious try. My question was to get more Information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kristinwilson May I draw your attention to the fact that you've replied to a 3-year old thread with absolutely nothing useful to add. I will also warn you that personal insults are a violation of the terms you agreed to. Don't do it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@boblevine, you're a bully. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, my day wouldn't be complete without being insulted by an anonymous keyboard jockey on a 7-year old thread. It must be glorious to have absolutely nothing important to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you are abully. Have a nice day man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines