Highlighted

Can ID connect between two (or +) files to elude hundred of [exhausting=devastating] steps?

Participant ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forum.png

In this example, inserting objects between two files is an operation that consumes a lot of time and energy. It is possible to get ID more clever (educated)?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Yes, of course, anchoring an object, selecting its anchor character is an additional step.

Also arranging two document layout windows side by side.

Well, the benefit of dragging an object could be that you can target an insertion point for dropping very flexible.

You can switch from one insertion point to another easily without effort. Maybe that's only me, but I very much like dropping the element that is visible in the cursor.

About anchoring elements to text:

Work with anchored objects using drag-and-drop (CS5.5)

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/anchored-objects.html#working_with_anchored_objects_using_drag_and_drop_cs5_5

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can ID connect between two (or +) files to elude hundred of [exhausting=devastating] steps?

Participant ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forum.png

In this example, inserting objects between two files is an operation that consumes a lot of time and energy. It is possible to get ID more clever (educated)?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Yes, of course, anchoring an object, selecting its anchor character is an additional step.

Well, the benefit of dragging an object could be that you can target an insertion point for dropping very flexible.

You can switch from one insertion point to another easily without effort. Maybe that's only me, but I very much like dropping the element that is visible in the cursor.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/anchored-objects.html#working_with_anchored_objects_using_drag_and_drop_cs5_5

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would you want this to work that would make the working more smooth. Share you views on how it should work, if it sounds interesting some plugin developer might pick up the idea and create a plugin for this.

For getting InDesign project managers attention, post the idea to the following URL and then paste the post link here so that people wanting to have this feature developed could upvote your idea. The more the votes the better the chances that it might be picked for implementation.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least part of this should be scriptable, although I am not sure on the "touch equation" part. ("Touch" = select? What format is the equation -- an image? using an external math plugin?)

But "fix it in the space" comes down to ".. and then magic happens .." and that is not do-able with InDesign scripts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, equations are extracted from PDF files coming from Word...

(as ID until the moment does not read PC Word files with equations. Third party software is not perfect...)

Couldn't find the appropriate menu for "fix it in the space". Object Fitting?

Thanks.

Yes, I forgot select as the adequate word instead of touch...

Feel many steps could be avoided. It is a relative torture making complex books/etc.  in ID with equations, graphs, tables, figures, hundred of elements to be placed manually... So limited... Captions styles are also limited to one option. Well, ID is very far of be adapted to be the only available software for this metier.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi aps90669553,

try to drag and drop selected text in document 2  to any insertion point of document 1.

You can enable this feature, dragging text in the Layout window, from your preferences.

This feature is turned on for Story Editor windows by default.

It is turned off by default for Layout windows.

Preferences > Type >

Drag and Drop Text Editing

[ x ] Enable in Layout View

To make that work you have to show the layout windows of documents 1 and 2 side by side.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ube.

I tried it after mr Jongware posted but this menu preference seems to work only with text.

Here I have anchored objects.

Of course,  this tip if works could alleviate in some way the extensive manual work that ID does not considerate as a calamity.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 11.50.05 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I thought you'd like to insert the formula to text?!

If so simply anchor the formula object in document 2 to a text frame.

Then select the character of the anchor and move that character to any insertion point in document 1.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first screenshot are simulated the steps.

For the moment I copy the formula in doc 2, go to doc. 1, and paste there.

I din't figure what's «anchor the formula object in document 2 to a text frame.» and it seems the same as copy/paste (2 steps)

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/anchored-objects.html#working_with_anchored_objects_using_dra...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ube.

Yes, the answer is helpful.

(Between grief and nothing I will take grief. W. Faulkner, The Wild Palms)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines