Highlighted

Can ID import a bunch of graphics and generates captions at the same time?

Participant ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphics are already named in a folder with the required caption.

For example 

Table 1. List of apples

Table 2. List of pears

(there are 150...)

When placing in ID is required to apply the menu «generate caption» for each one...

How to import them and at the same time ID generates the caption?

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can ID import a bunch of graphics and generates captions at the same time?

Participant ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphics are already named in a folder with the required caption.

For example 

Table 1. List of apples

Table 2. List of pears

(there are 150...)

When placing in ID is required to apply the menu «generate caption» for each one...

How to import them and at the same time ID generates the caption?

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The caption when placing needs to be in the photos metadata; metadata is often entered in Adobe Bridge.

You could try using Data Merge to import the graphic (based on path) and the caption. However, Data Merge has limited layout capabilities--if you need more advanced features, you may need a third party plugin or script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes. Thanks.

The metadata is already in the name of the file.

The idea is import these bunch of graphics and achieve that at the same time the caption be generated.

How to ask ID to do this at the moment of placing or later, with an instruction?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you set up your Caption preferences, you can either:

• Place the photo and draw the caption text frame immediantly afterwards.
    • Check the Create Static Caption checkbox
  • Create a graphic frame and text frame.
    • Use Frame Fitting Options for the graphic frame (preferably as an Object Style)
    • Use a Text Variable for the caption

Caption Setup

2020-04-01_10-45-23.png2020-04-01_10-45-03.png

Variable method

2020-04-01_10-46-22.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My question is related to that moment when images have already been placed in ID.

I have not found a different method of doing that one by one.

If each image has already been named with the real caption

Table 1. List of apples

Table 2. List of pears

(there are 150...)

how to generate automatically for all of them the captions, instead of manually doing it?

thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do it when placing, I would call it SEMI-automatically. You place the image, than drag to create the caption text frame. 

With a little prep and planning--assuming some type of grid system, such as 4-6 images per page--you can lay them out in about 10-15 minutes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The op is totally right to post such a question! …

Sure the game won't be truly cool if it needs to be played several times per day with docs including hundreds oo captions!

Imho, the good answer would be more: "You can do it with just 1 click with a script!"

but is the delta between the needing for such a script and the cost of writing its code favorable?

Of course, if someone offers it for nothing, the question really deserved to be asked !!

(^/) The Jedi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know who was questioning the "right" to post, but if you mean more details, I am happy to give them and even suppy a sample file. I was just looking for more details about the layout.

Assuming a grid layout, here is what I would do:

1. On a master page, create the grid using the Create Guides option
    1. Put header/footer items on a separate layer and lock it
  2. Create a empty graphic frame
    1. Create and appy a Object styles to set fitting options (i.e. Fit Content Proportionally)
  3. Create a text frame
    1. It needs to touch the graphic frame, so move the text down with text inset
    2. Create a text variable linked to the desired metadata and inset into frame
      1. Apply a paragraph style
  4. Group the frames
  5. Set your Caption preferences as necessary
  6. Alt/Option drag the group to fill up the page based on grid
  7. In the document, add in as many pages as needed
    1. For example, if 4 mages per page, insert 125 pages to get 500 images frames
  8. Select all the pages and override master items to release the graphic/text frame group
  9. Load 500 images (or do 100 at a time) via Place
    1. This is the area that is dependant on the user's computer setup
  10. Start clicking on graphic frames

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, interesting your solution. Think it asks for making many steps. Finally I use and old method: modify, after placing the images, the margins in master page and get a surface very small to autoflow a galley with the captions with a style defined in keep options as start paragraph next page. Like this:

robn.png

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MF, 

Script is a magic word, more if it comes from you.

Hope to see your scripting talents in my future posts.

In cases like this, the culprit must be ID and not my nonexistent budget.

Thanks for your time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps 1-6 is a one-time setup. 
Working on a copy of the file, steps 7-8 take about one minute.

Steps 9-10 don't take long but is is dependent on your computer setup.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was able to do this with some slight trickery.

Place 1 object and add a Live Caption.

Duplicate it into position in the layout required for the spread - then load your Cursor with all the images - replace all the images by clicking your loaded cursor into each frame.

They should all update automatically to the new live caption as per your metadata.

Let me know if you need any more info or if it's working for you! 

Sorry, I don't script. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene, firstly, thanks.

The operation of placing an image + caption is just a shortcut.

The problem is more adverse.  The idea is to place the whole folder of graphic files in a new ID file and achieve at the same time that ID places the captions. Image + generation of caption in one step.

(Later  we use to create a PDF and insert its pages in ID.)

For the moment, after having placed the file we have manually to generate the caption. 

ID have not thought this very common situation in making books/catalogues and of course, a script, seems the solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making a catalog - https://www.65bit.com/software/easycatalog/?gclid=CjwKCAjw4KD0BRBUEiwA7MFNTd04aEq_ms3vNtq1uAXwhLjbG0...

I don't really know of a better way - it's not that common really what you're describing - and InDesign is a typesetting/design application not a catalog creator. But it can do it really well.

Hence the scripts/plugins that others have created utilising Indesign tools. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to show how to do it without a plugin, but I have used EmSoftware's InData plug in for many jobs. Here is a link to a three-part article doing pretty much what you are looking for:

https://altimac.com/2020/02/01/extreme-ad-makeover-with-indesign-indata-part-1/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines