Can not move items in InDesign.

Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried both the new and last year's InDesign on my computer, and for some odd reason I can not drag items around.

I can place them... scale them... but moving does not work with the mouse or XP-Pen Stylus.

I can however move them with my arrow keys.

So I am using a Windows PC tower (the latest version of Windows).  I got it in August.  I did not check to see if there were issues with InDesign, but there seems to be.  Could it be the PC?

Or is there an issue with InDesign?

Every other application works fine.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can not move items in InDesign.

Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried both the new and last year's InDesign on my computer, and for some odd reason I can not drag items around.

I can place them... scale them... but moving does not work with the mouse or XP-Pen Stylus.

I can however move them with my arrow keys.

So I am using a Windows PC tower (the latest version of Windows).  I got it in August.  I did not check to see if there were issues with InDesign, but there seems to be.  Could it be the PC?

Or is there an issue with InDesign?

Every other application works fine.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to make the assumption that you're working with wireless input devices using a Bluetooth connection.

1. Is this happening if you work with Adobe Illustrator? How about if you're dragging and dropping text in a word processing program or editing cells in a spreadsheet. That'd help narrow down whether this is an InDesign or a system problem.
  2. Do both devices have USB plugs? Or are they using something like a unified receiver like Logitech uses? Or does your tower have built-in Bluetooth? If you've got a wired mouse, unlink both the wireless devices and see if a plain ol' mouse plugged into a USB port works. I think this may be the most likely issue, as running multiple Bluetooth devices can occasionally cause conflict.
  3. Now to the dirty question: if they are wireless devices, you've put fresh batteries in them, right?
  4. If that doesn't help. you can go to your Windows 10 Settings dialog box, then Select the Devices>Mouse>Additional mouse options links to get to the mouse/input device interaction options. Pay close attention to the button options, and functions that affect those button options like ClickLock. Occasionally, accidentally, these toggles may get messed up. But this was also a common way to mess with folks in computer-weenie circles, and over time became my go-to first check for input device issues. Are the drivers for these devices current?

I wouldn't give up hope on your computer or InDesign. This sounds more like a conflict with processing signals with your input devices. Hopefully one of the options I listed above will help you past your issue.

Good Luck,

Randy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2021 0
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I wanted to follow up with you.

Did we get you past your problem? If we didn't and you got it fixed, what worked for you?

Randy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2021 0