• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can regular expressions be used to distinguish abc columns?

Enthusiast ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to extract the index of the article entry. My document is divided into three columns (a, b, c from left to right). I need to mark their page numbers and which column belongs to a b c

It's like this below.

I manually extract the index, I think the software is not easy to use.

Now the question is, how can I label a b c faster

The text is divided into three columns (a b c). Can regular expressions be used to distinguish abc columns?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like this below.abc-1.jpgabc.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting one! A possible way is as follows.

1. Create three character styles, name them a, b, and c. No formatting needed, you just need a wrapper.

2. Get yourself a script that applies these character styles as number style overrides to page references: if a page reference (or, index marker) is in column a, apply character style a, etc.

3. Generate the index.

4. Get yourself another script that looks for instances of character style a and inserts 'a'. Same with the instances of character styles b and c.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should have started with (naturally) 'No, you can't use a regular expression to determine a text column's index'. Regular expressions match text, nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines