• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open files saved in the previous version of InDesign with vs 16.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems crazy, but I can't seem to open documents saved in the new 2021 vs 16 of InDesign with just the previous version, i.e 15.1.2, or 2020 - it is asking if I wan't to convert them and potentially loose data, formatting, etc.

This was the case when I was trying to open old CS5 files in CC - converting to IDML files first, but surely not with just one version back? I can't update my InDesign to vs16 as have an old 2011 imac which can't update OS beyond High Sierra, and therefore can't update to the latest version of InDesign.

Is this right? Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has ALWAYS been the case with INDD files. There has never been a time where you could open a file created in a newer version. With CC you get the option for Adobe to do the conversion for you but make no mistake, it's no different than having someone else save it as an IDML file.

There should have been no need to convert old files to IDML to open them in newer versions of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing...you can avoid all this by upgrading your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, am following this thread because I'm having the same issue. I've updated as far as my MacBook Pro will go, which is Monterey 12.4, and the newest CC version of INDD won't open a document I created just a year ago. What gives and how do I retrieve these files in case my client needs them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @elizabethn52808604 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. If I understood correctly, you have created the document in an older version of InDesign and trying to open the file in the latest version of InDesign? If yes, are you getting any errors while opening the file? 

Note: In this thread, Mark5D50 created a file in v16 and was trying to open the file in v15.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark:

This is how InDesign works, and has worked for years.

Each new version of InDesign changes the file format to the newer version. When you open a file from an earlier versions (i.e, 2020) in a newer version (i.e., 20210) you will see the word CONVERTED by the filename. This is to protect the file, and encourages you to save it under a new name. If you overwrite the file, you will have converted it to the newer version, and the older version can't reopen it without converting it back.

Since it appears you have already done that, go ahead and let InDesign convert it back for you, then review it closely for issues. It will likely be just fine. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is all fine and dandy, but the conversion process is taking SO long, I'm not even too sure it is taking place. How can I check. And WHY does Adobe do this unless for - the cynic in me suggests - to force the customer to upgrade so the company can make even more money. That is scummy behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an old thread which I'm locking. Please create a new discussion with full details on what you're trying to do and you'll get a lot more help. Tip: leave out the conspiracy theories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another point is that my file has both footnotes and endnotes, the ability to save and add footnotes is a more recent feature. The trouble is I'm sure saving as an IDML will preserve those footnotes, and I CANNOT lose them!

Well, done Adobe. As always Tech Compnay 1 - Customer 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> This seems crazy,

This craziness was always as Barb already says to you. Do you need to convert file or you already do idml on your side? 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your responses, although I am still a little confused!

When working from home on Adobe CC, if I had files created at my place of working, using the much older CS5, I would need to IDML them in order to then open them on CC.

If, however,  I was simply doing the smaller updates every few months, or more major updates annual, at home on CC, it would never ask me to 'convert' these files before opening? 

This issue was bought to my attention earlier today by our freelance subeditor, who recently updated to InDesign 2021, and came across this issue trying to open our 2020 files. Again, he had not seen this happen before.

And yes, I know I could avoid it by updating my operating system, if I could. As stated in my original post, my iMac is mid 2011, and therefore High Sierra is a far as it goes. I would consider buying a new Mac, but was hoping for a redesigned machine, which I gather might be coming early next year...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> who recently updated to InDesign 2021, and came across this issue trying to open our 2020 files. 

This is another situation. Are you sure? Give us here example of your 2020 indd file that can't opened with v2021 (through some dropbox or yadisk service)

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post one of these files and supply a dropbox link. While I have read of some instances of early files not being able to be opened in newer versions those are far and few between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having problems opening a very large file (60mg) from a previously saved InDesign v16 back to 15.1.3 as an .idml, and saved over it in the older InDesign. Now I can't open the file in either version. I work from home on a newer Mac, but my office Mac cannot be upgraded. I have an enormous amount of time dedicated to this file and I hate to go back to an older version. Any helpful ideas are greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines