• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open InDesign file from Windows Explorer

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, it's June 19th and yesterday I installed the latest update to InDesign. I noticed since then that when I double-click on an InDesign 2020 file from the Windows Explorer, InDesign doesn't open it. This happens arbitrarily. Trying again doesn't work. I get the spinning blue wheel for a couple seconds, then nothing.

This is over  a network.

I have to go into InDesign and manually open the file from there.

This is a new behavior.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Sometimes even incremental (quarterly roll-up) updates can scramble Windows File Explorer. This may help:

1) Open your File Explorer. Navigate your way to your InDesign.exe file (it should be stored in Program Files>Adobe>InDesign CC 2020>InDesign.exe — if it's not, this may be your first issue). Place your cursor on the file and make sure that it shows File version: 15.1.xx, with the xx accounting for additional build numbers. Knowing this InDesign.exe file is the latest version, and exactly

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes even incremental (quarterly roll-up) updates can scramble Windows File Explorer. This may help:

1) Open your File Explorer. Navigate your way to your InDesign.exe file (it should be stored in Program Files>Adobe>InDesign CC 2020>InDesign.exe — if it's not, this may be your first issue). Place your cursor on the file and make sure that it shows File version: 15.1.xx, with the xx accounting for additional build numbers. Knowing this InDesign.exe file is the latest version, and exactly where it's located, is vitally important to the steps below.

1a-InDesign version.jpg

(Please excuse my screen cap showing InDesign CC 2019; I use that version on both my Windows and Mac production systems)

2) Open File Explorer. Navigate your way to one of your .indd files. Right-click on that file and select the Open with... command on the flyaway menu, as shown below.

1-Open With.jpg

2) In the dialog box, You should see what application may be used to open .indd files. It may or may not be InDesign CC 2020. Even if it does say that, don't accept it for your answer. Click on the More Apps link in blue, then scroll your way all the way to the bottom of the list and click on the Look for another app to open .indd files link. I'm sorry the screen cap doesn't show that link, my fingers weren't fast enough for me to scroll my way down there for my screen cap software.

2-choose app.jpg

4) Navigate your way to where you found your Indesign.exe (v15.1.xx) file, and double-click it to make the selection. Select the Always use this app to open .indd files check box, then click the OK button. Then see if InDesign opens your file.

If it does work for you, your job isn't done yet. You'll also need to repeat the process for InDesign Template (.indt), Book (.indb) and Library (.indl) files.

Hopefully this will get you past your issue.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I set it back to Open InDesign 2020 and checked the Always Open in this App. My initial test worked, so crossing fingers. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Glad it worked for you.

And whenever you run across rude surprises or problems with InDesign, or any other Adobe app, feel free to come back here and sound the alarm. There are lots of sharp folks around here who may be able to help.

Hope the day treats you well,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, almost done for the day and I this did fix my isuse. However, there is definitely a much bigger delay on opening files with the latest InDesign than previous versions. Like a delay before InDesign even reacts to the fact it's loading this file. This is the only InDesign installed, no other versions. It's set as the app to load the file. Just a noticeable delay when double-clicking in Explorer. I'm interested in if anyone else is experiencing this. Windows 10. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines