• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Select more than two objects inside a group

Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of shapes in a group as part of a design. I wish to adjust the position of several group elements as follows:

1. Double click the group to open it

2. SHIFT+click the desired objects

This is OK for the first two objects, but when I SHIFT+click the third object, all selected objects are deselected, and the parent group becomes selected.I can unselect individual objects if 2+ are selected, using the same method.

This happens with 100% consistency.

The objects can be selected as normal by meatballing them in the Layers panel.

Indesign 13.1 x64 on Windows 7 x64 Pro

Is this a known bug? Will file as usual anyway.

Thanks

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

It’s rather a 'feature', than a bug. All versions of ID work exactly this way.

However, with Direct Selection tool you can select more than two objects in a group.

Well, it’s not the same, I know.

select.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s rather a 'feature', than a bug. All versions of ID work exactly this way.

However, with Direct Selection tool you can select more than two objects in a group.

Well, it’s not the same, I know.

select.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's helpful thanks! It's not intuitive but at least there is a way to do it.

Cheers

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even easier...use the layer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on the objects you want to select is far easier and more intuitive and efficient (less brain power, less eye movement, less clicking) than trying to figure out which of the 20 geometric objects in the Layers panel are the ones I want.

So the Layer panel route is not easier at all, for me anyways.

I hate it when badly designed and unintuitive features slow me down ... grrrr!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

what also will work:

1. Select one object in the group with the Selection Tool ( the "black arrow tool" ).

2. Then do menu command: Select All.

3. Hold the Shift key and deselect by clicking the objects that are not needed.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ... it's a little crazy that UNselect works this way, but not selecting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

Thanks ... it's a little crazy that UNselect works this way, but not selecting!

Absolutely.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bob. People (myself included sometimes) forget that the easiest way to select anything in InDesign is via the Layers panel. Much easier than all the other double-clicking-shifting-etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone explain to me why this is a "feature"? What is the advantage of not letting users intuitively select more than two objects with shift-select within a group? In what situation would this be so helpful that it's worth being baked in?

I'm finding this thread years later in hopes of some magic preference checkbox to undo this. I echo what someone else said, when working with lots of shapes within groups, the alternative methods don't make it easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this documented anywhere? If not: It's a bug. In any case it's completely nonsensical!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the (white) Direct Selection tool rather than the Selection tool to shift click and select group objects—if there is no fill you have to click on the edge of the frame in order to select it:

Screen Shot.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I'm not the only one who finds this odd. I've been able to deal with it until a document I've been working on recently which has a huge number of layers. Does seem a little unintuitive and not an expected behaviour. Direct selection seems like the best work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's clearly a bug and it's a shame. If it isn't a bug, I'd love to hear the rationale for it.

InDesign is great otherwise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a limitation, not a bug. As I said almost 6 years ago...use the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to hear the rationale for it.

InDesign has two distinct selection tools, which serve different purposes. The Selection Tool (black arrow) selects an entire object, which could be a group, an image along with its container frame, an entire polygon path etc.

The Direct Selection Tool (white arrow) can select any part of an object—an image independent of its container, a rectangle inside of a Group, the side of a rectangle, a polygon’s individual control points, etc. If an object is blocked by another object you have to use key commands or the Layers panel to make a direct selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. These things are always better discussed live, in person, to avoid misunderstandings.

I actually wanted to know the rationale for not letting the user select more than two items in a group when using the black arrow. You can select more than two items when items aren't in a group, but when you group those same items, you're limited to selecting two together. What possible reason - technical or otherwise - is there for that limitation.

It's, how you say, nuts. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I actually wanted to know the rationale for not letting the user select more than two items in a group when using the black arrow.

Wrong tool. If you want to select parts of an object (a group is a single object item made up of parts), you have to use the Direct Selection tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines