• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select right indent in tabs panel.

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create dot leader tabs in InDesign for a program. When I open tabs and click right indent arrow in the upper left corner of the Tabs window it won't allow me to select it. It becomes dark gray when I roll over it but does nothing when I click it. Is there something I am missing or that I should be doing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

I think I figured it out. I was able to access the right justify arrow in the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's make sure you're doing the steps correctly. Here's a diagram of the three steps to make tab leaders:

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 3.16.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And before that, you actually need a tab character in the text like this:

Tabs.png

And the text has to be selected before the first steps I showed you. You can see that the text is highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I did the steps up to step 3. I can't select the right justified tab.

1. Inserted a tab character.

2. Selected the text.

3. The problem starts when I attempt to select right justified tab.

I was hoping there was something I was overlooking. Ever heard of this before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could be a general InDesign problem: Two common troubleshooting methods:

(1) If it only happens in one file, the file may be corrupted. You need to save it as IDML and reopen the IDML file:

Clean corrupt files by exporting to .IDML or .INX

(2) If it happens in more than one file, try restoring your InDesign preferences (section on Restoring Preferences):

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completed (1). I saved as IDML and still could not select right justified tab.

Completed (2) I held down shift>control>option>command while opening InDesign, then clicked "yes" to clear preferences. The problem still occurred.

Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall the software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's pretty easy to uninstall and reinstall InDesign. I'd try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying that now. Do you think the next best thing is to contact support if it still doesn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, that is worth a try.

Let's also see what other ideas pop up here on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also post a copy of the text you're having problems with and post so it could be downloaded from a server (like Creative Cloud files or Dropbox) so others can test it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a copy of the block of text  I am working with:

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured it out. I was able to access the right justify arrow in the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if you need any more help, Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I actually have the same problem and I did solve it the same way as GMDS_Learner did; however, I am still wondering why the Tab bar doesn't work. I used to work with the Tab bar for the TOCs because it is quite confortable and a straight way to get job done, but sudently it didn't work anymore. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. There definatley seems to be a problem here that is not being fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign and OS are you using? It seems to be working correctly here in CC2021 which is what I have open at the moment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC2022 (17.5) on Mac Big Sur (11.6.5).

It doesn't seem to be occuring all the time, but in some text frames in some documents, which is why it is so frustrating as there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the prefs? Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. No joy. Again, the problem is nto consitient, and can occur with an indivudal text frame within a document, whereas the tab bar works fine in a different text frame within the same document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That sort of wierdness can sometimes be cured by exporting to .idml, opeing that and saving as a new .indd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines