Highlighted

Can we generate single pdf documents through adobe-in design by merging multiple documents

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Requirement from my application is that we will have to actually copy number of documents like word document, pdf document and tiff files in a folder and what we want in response is that adobe-in design should merge all these documents, do the required formatting and create one publishing document for us.  We want to programtically generate all these documents through our existing application

If adobe in-design will be suitable tool for it and if yes how we can achieve it progromatically. Where can I found SDK or libraries to achieve it

Topics

Import and export, SDK, Server developers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can we generate single pdf documents through adobe-in design by merging multiple documents

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Requirement from my application is that we will have to actually copy number of documents like word document, pdf document and tiff files in a folder and what we want in response is that adobe-in design should merge all these documents, do the required formatting and create one publishing document for us.  We want to programtically generate all these documents through our existing application

If adobe in-design will be suitable tool for it and if yes how we can achieve it progromatically. Where can I found SDK or libraries to achieve it

Topics

Import and export, SDK, Server developers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No HTML to PDF converter will convert the layout exactly. They are too different. Consider that PDF is designed as fixed size pages, while HTML can adapt itself and may look different with different software and settings. Certainly InDesign isn’t even slightly the right tool for this conversion. Certainly if you want exact layout, it’s hard to imagine a worse starting point than HTML. Try to rethink what your aim is, and identify the important part of the job. If this is a homework challenge, that's fine... it will certainly be a challenge. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I jdiscussed with our team and the requirement what I understand from my team is that we will have to actually copy number of documents like word document, pdf document and tiff files in a folder and what we want in response is that adobe-in design should merge all these documents, do the required formatting and create one publishing document for us

Keeping above purpose in mind can the adobe in-design be the right tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the kind of the published document you intend?
That's the main question you should ask. Then we could tell if InDesign is the right tool.

FWIW: In principle InDesign can do what you want and you could automate all this using ExtendScript (JavaScript). InDesign's scripting capabilities are very strong.

DOM documentation for ExtendScript can be found here:

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#about.html

When on Windows you can use Adobe's ExtendScript Toolkit application (ESTK) to develop everything you need.

On the current Mac OS X it's a bit harder to debug with the ESTK substitution, the The ExtendScript Debugger for VSCode (also available for Windows).

https://medium.com/adobetech/the-future-of-extendscript-development-a-vscode-plugin-2d8d0172a357

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached a pdf document in my question with name as "monstate.pdf" that type of files we want to generate progrmatically.

This functionality is current exposed through Aspose APIs which our Java application is consuming. Now we want to replace Aspose with In-Design. Can we use https://www.datalogics.com/products/pdf/pdflibrary/ libraries to achieve the same

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: InDesign itself has a superb export to PDF feature.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines