• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you create InDesign templates from either MS Word or PDF documents?

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently need to create proposals using a form (the SF330 form to be precise). The version I have in InDesign is out of date and I'd like to have a version using the latest SF330. It is freely available as a PDF, a fillable form PDF, and a MS Word document. I only find paid resources for an InDesign version. My question is: can I take a PDF or Word document and create a solid template in InDesign from it? I've attached it for reference - it would be a beast to recreate on my own!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Short answer: No, you couldn't automate the process of converting that PDF to an InDesign file. Either you rebuild it yourself or you pay someone to do it for you.

To support this, I looked at how the PDF was created: Lifecycle Designer. There is no direct conversion, nor any translation software which go from the original to InDesign.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.34.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: No, you couldn't automate the process of converting that PDF to an InDesign file. Either you rebuild it yourself or you pay someone to do it for you.

To support this, I looked at how the PDF was created: Lifecycle Designer. There is no direct conversion, nor any translation software which go from the original to InDesign.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 10.34.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do it in InDesign without 3rd Party Software

But Affinity Publisher allows you to open a PDF and make changes etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Given that it includes a variety of formats, including forms, there would be a lot of re-work even if you could open it with Affinity, or one of the PDF translation software products like PDF2ID from Recosoft. They're doing a translation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines